PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive digital scales

PWC
03-11-2017, 07:46
What experience has anyone had with the Hornady G2-1500 and / or the Lyman Pocket touch 1500? I know there are better scales (stated in $$$) but that isn't a consideration now. I'm looking primarily for weighing unknowns, like bullets, brass, and yes pull down and new powder. I have used my Pacific balance beam for 30 years and it has never failed, but a balance can't weigh unknown objects.

I know they are as suceptable to drafts as are the beam or non-digital scale but how well do they hold cal, how long to aclimate? I've read reviews from other sites and some love'm and some hate'm. But the reviews never seem to state wether the user has paid attention to the environment of use, for which the scale can not be held responsible.

I've been coming to the Major's site since the Forum was only one screen, so I know there is a lot of knowlwdge here to share. As Larry says; "Thanks for your support".

nf1e
03-12-2017, 03:07
I use a Lyman Micro-touch 1500 to weigh completed cartridges as I load my range box. Each cartridge is sorted heavy to light from front to back in range box.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0432_zpsba1g5quz.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0432_zpsba1g5quz.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

milboltnut
03-12-2017, 05:15
the GS-1500 is fine, I use all the time. I also checked against my RCBS 505... it's the same.

nf1e
03-12-2017, 08:03
Just as an experiment, take new commercial ammo and weigh each completed round. The variations will amaze you. You will see how hand loading can be a great asset to accuracy.
I attempt to keep my hand loaded ammo withing a couple of tenths gr.

As an example, we all know gmm is the best right?
I just pulled a couple of boxes from the stash.
175 gmm weight from 400.9 to 406.2 gr. Variation 5.3 gr in 20 rnds.
165 gmm weight from 378.2 to 384.5 gr. Variation 6.3 gr in 20 rnds.

For most shooters this is of very little interest. For those that have tried either the old 10 dot challenge or the 20 dot, handloading and weighing your ammo should give you a slight advantage over those using commercial.
Even for those using commercial, weighing each box and sorting cartridges by weight can help your groups. Not tremendously with a gas gun, but it is a help.
For the gents with tuned bolt rifles, try this out and see what you think.

Semper Fi
Art

Major Tom
03-12-2017, 08:03
What price range do you consider inexpensive? The pictured Lyman I'm sure is at least $200.

nf1e
03-12-2017, 08:14
What price range do you consider inexpensive? The pictured Lyman I'm sure is at least $200.

The Lyman Micro-touch 1500 is the little bitty scale to the right of the big one in my post above it has a completed cartridge standing on it. The 1500s go for well under a hundred bucks some under 50 if you shop.

Art

PWC
03-12-2017, 07:15
Yesterday, I did buy a Lyman Pocket-touch ($24) from Sportsman's Wearhouse but it would not cal per the instructions. I returned it today for a repalcement and it does what the instructions say it is supposed to do. My Pacific powder balance (shown in the 1939 Ideal reloading manual) has been my first and never fail choice for 30 years. Those factory provided duralumin weights just don't go out of cal.

But now I can weigh unknown items as bullets, cases pull-down powder and any of my loads or other peoples loads that may be questionable for what ever reason.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and remember; do not be politically correct, be patrioticly correct.