PDA

View Full Version : Stuck firing pin

p246
03-11-2017, 11:36
I know this was a reoccurring problem with the trapdoor, but I've never had a problem with any of mine. A friend brought me an inherited 1873 and the firing pin is stuck down. Tried Kroil for a few days with no results. Trying the full soak in 50 percent ATF and 50 percent acetone now. If that does not work I've heard of submersing them in penetrating oil under low heat. Any other tricks out there. Thanks in advance.

By the way it is a 5 digit 1873 but in a 1890 stock. The barrel is struck twice underneath with a P just in front of the receiver. Does that indicated it was Proofed twice. Maybe once originally and once during a rebuild.

Kragrifle
03-12-2017, 01:40
A little heat to the block and a little tap to the front of the firing pin.

Fred
03-12-2017, 07:16
If you remove the breech block and and tap it on a wooden bench of table, the firing pin should loosen and come out.
Tap the Back of the block downward. The heal that is right under the opening to the firing pin.

Sturwilh
03-12-2017, 03:46
I know this was a reoccurring problem with the trapdoor, but I've never had a problem with any of mine. A friend brought me an inherited 1873 and the firing pin is stuck down. Tried Kroil for a few days with no results. Trying the full soak in 50 percent ATF and 50 percent acetone now. If that does not work I've heard of submersing them in penetrating oil under low heat. Any other tricks out there. Thanks in advance.

By the way it is a 5 digit 1873 but in a 1890 stock. The barrel is struck twice underneath with a P just in front of the receiver. Does that indicated it was Proofed twice. Maybe once originally and once during a rebuild.

I read that between serial numbers, approximately 65,000 and 160,000, two proof marks were added. The first after proofing with a 280 gr charge then again after using a 250 grain proof charge. This seems like a large charge but it was done before the rifling was cut and I have no idea about the diameter or weight of the bullet.

butlersrangers
03-12-2017, 07:59
Try the fine suggestions that have been offered.

I had one that was broken and stuck in the block. It was badly 'mushroomed' and deformed, probably the result of repeatedly being 'dry fired' (Kids playing?).

I soaked it with 'Liquid Wrench", but, it required a drift-punch and hammer to drive it out, using the front of the block (firing pin hole) for access.

Hopefully, you are just dealing with crud!

p246
03-12-2017, 09:15
Try the fine suggestions that have been offered.

I had one that was broken and stuck in the block. It was badly 'mushroomed' and deformed, probably the result of repeatedly being 'dry fired' (Kids playing?).

I soaked it with 'Liquid Wrench", but, it required a drift-punch and hammer to drive it out, using the front of the block (firing pin hole) for access.

Hopefully, you are just dealing with crud!

I think so there was a little rust pitting right at the top of the firing pin and the hammer, where it was resting against it. It looks like the bolt did not get cleaned well after some black powder shooting. The rest of the rifle is immaculate. With work schedule its in the ATF/Acetone bath for a couple days. I'll pull it and get it dried off. I'll hit it with a little propane torch heat and use a brass punch to see if we can get it to move.

1mark
03-20-2017, 04:07
I have 3 breech blocks that the pins will not come out. One I even drilled and tapped the end and inserted a screw and attached it to a slide hammer and the pin is still stuck. Yes I soaked them for days. They are now weights on my bench to hold paper. I will try the heat.