PDA

View Full Version : New to me Pedersoli - ejector Question

AZshooter
03-12-2017, 11:31
Came home from the little show in Mesa with what was sold to me as a "used" Pedersoli TD Carbine. Paid 2x the price of my Bannerman conversion from Feb, but wanted something to shoot more often & save the original for more special occasions. What I brought home ended up having an imperceptive & tiny Navy Arms import stamp & 2001 proof date. There were still wood chips under the lockplate, the beginning of a scuff on the inside of the lock plate from the tumbler, and no wear on the finish at the firing pin strike end. The bore was mirror-new and no jacket fouling or leading - only closet lint. I'd wager it's unfired. No dings or dents in the wood, either.

Having fired Pedersolis in the past, ejection is sissy-boy weak, with the spent shell barely clearing the receiver. OTOH, the Bannerman launches brass about 10'.

Will an original (stronger) ejector spring fit the Pedersoli and Pedersoli ejector rod/plunger?

Dick Hosmer
03-12-2017, 12:53
That's a new Pedersoli question, or at least new to me. If someone does not come up with a definite yes or no answer, it should be worth a try. In a similar vein, the mainspring used by H&R (the inspiration - if not the source of the design and perhaps - though denied - the tooling for Pedersoli) was a cheap piece of sh*t, bent from flat stock. In that case, an original spring was a drop-in fit, and the lock time and general crispness of operation was drastically improved.

98% of the Pedersoli chatter seems to involve the potential (and sometimes real) issue of the breech opening upon discharge due to the poor design of the thumb-latch (copied from H&R) which does not follow the prototype - which cost more to machine, but never failed. The latch and shaft in the H&R and at least early Pedersolis are not permanently fastened to each other, which is an absolute must. When "loose" the cam can drag on the lip of the locking recess, and not go in, while the latch can be pressed home, giving the appearance of normal lock.

EO1
03-12-2017, 02:23
For $10 you can get a new spring and pin from VTI. At that price, it's a first thing to try.

AZshooter
03-12-2017, 02:59
For $10 you can get a new spring and pin from VTI. At that price, it's a first thing to try.

What I've got now is a brand new, unfired Pedersoli with the typical wimpy Pedersoli ejector spring. VTI sells replica parts & their Spring won't be any different than what I already have.

EO1
03-12-2017, 06:08
Granpas has originals - both for 15, 17 from Al Frasca. It's worth a try.

AZshooter
03-12-2017, 09:10
Granpas has originals - both for 15, 17 from Al Frasca. It's worth a try.

Yep - Al's sidekick Ed has the listing for the springs - $4 each. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Thanks!

EO1
03-12-2017, 09:49
I hope it works. Let us know.

jon_norstog
03-17-2017, 08:17
On the latch and shaft, is that something that could be silver-brazed?

jn

Dick Hosmer
03-17-2017, 10:34
On the latch and shaft, is that something that could be silver-brazed?

jn

I suppose - the usual fix seems to be drilling and pinning. The key is to make sure the parts are correctly oriented before you join them.