PDA

View Full Version : Decapping live primers?

Brad in Idaho
03-21-2017, 08:35
Can I safely decap live primers? I have a bunch of Israeli surplus ammo I took down for components. It is boxer primed so I'd like to use the brass that looks good to reload. I suspect the primers are corrosive so I want to change them for new ones. Can this be done safely with a universal decapping die?

While I'm here, the above netted me several hundred 8MM 197.5gr FMJBT bullets. They are not attracted to a magnet so I'd like to re-use them. I don't find any info for this particular bullet in my reloading books. If possible I'd like to use IMR 4895 since I have quite a bit of it. Anyone have a recipe for this combination or know where else I might look? I would be shooting it in a variety of surplus 8MM Mausers. TIA

psteinmayer
03-21-2017, 09:19
Yes, you can use the universal decapper and remove the primers. Use only as much pressure as needed on your press; Keep your face away from the die and wear safely glasses; and go slowly. I've decapped live primers many times when necessary.

Tuna
03-21-2017, 09:20
What is the date on the head stamp of the Israeli 8mm? Ammo from the 50's or 60's I would say corrosive for sure. I am surprised it's boxer primed and not Berdan. You can deprime the cases but you will have to do it like you were resizing the case just run it into the sizer slowly. If they are well crimped in place you may wind up punching through some with the rod. As to data with the 198 standard weight bullets. Use data for the 200 gr. bullets. You can find it on line with any powder maker or bullet maker. They do have data for IMR 4895.

Brad in Idaho
03-21-2017, 09:30
What is the date on the head stamp of the Israeli 8mm? Ammo from the 50's or 60's I would say corrosive for sure. I am surprised it's boxer primed and not Berdan. You can deprime the cases but you will have to do it like you were resizing the case just run it into the sizer slowly. If they are well crimped in place you may wind up punching through some with the rod. As to data with the 198 standard weight bullets. Use data for the 200 gr. bullets. You can find it on line with any powder maker or bullet maker. They do have data for IMR 4895.

Thanks. The ammo is all headstamped 55-57, definitely boxer primed and most of what I've read says primers are corrosive. I'll go at it slowly with safety equipment. I'll have to look further about 200gr. and 4895. What I saw was info for 4895 went up to about 180gr bullets then no info for heavier for 4895. I did find about 60 of the bullets I pulled were 178gr flat based FMJ. The large majority were the heavier BT bullets.

Sunray
03-21-2017, 09:50
You can use your regular decapping die. Operative words are slowly and gently. Only issue might come from the possibility of the primers being crimped in. You should be able to see that.
You do not need bullet specific data. The 200 grain IMR4895 data on Hodgdon's site will do nicely. Two and a half grains difference will not matter.
Corrosive primers really aren't a big deal. Especially out of a bolt action. They are a nuisance that gets dealt with by flushing the barrel with hot tap water then normal cleaning..

milboltnut
03-21-2017, 11:10
Universal decapping die works fine... just be careful if crimped in primers.

Brad in Idaho
03-21-2017, 11:37
You can use your regular decapping die. Operative words are slowly and gently. Only issue might come from the possibility of the primers being crimped in. You should be able to see that.
You do not need bullet specific data. The 200 grain IMR4895 data on Hodgdon's site will do nicely. Two and a half grains difference will not matter.
Corrosive primers really aren't a big deal. Especially out of a bolt action. They are a nuisance that gets dealt with by flushing the barrel with hot tap water then normal cleaning..

If I thought the primers were OK, I wouldn't bother but one of the reasons I pulled this stuff down was FTF's. Quite a few dented primers with no bang. A lot of the bullets were very loose and found powder clumped in the casings too. It just wasn't stored well. I have shot some much older (corrosive) 8MM surplus without these kind of problems. Thanks.

S.A. Boggs
03-21-2017, 02:54
Wear ear and eye protectors for sure, that's fer dang sure!
Sam
p.s. don't ask me why.:icon_redface::eusa_wall::evil6:

Brad in Idaho
03-21-2017, 07:44
All done with the salvage job. Harvested 290 very usable bullets, and probably 120 or so usable brass, will know more about the brass after some time in a tumbler. Managed to get all this decapped without any explosions. The primers were not crimped, made it a little easier. Thanks to all for the good advice.

tmark
03-22-2017, 07:52
Wear ear and eye protectors for sure, that's fer dang sure!
Sam
p.s. don't ask me why.:icon_redface::eusa_wall::evil6:

You sound like Abner from the movie Battleground: That's fer sure; that's fer dang sure!

S.A. Boggs
03-25-2017, 10:22
You sound like Abner from the movie Battleground: That's fer sure; that's fer dang sure!
We have a lot in common, except I am still alive... for now. If the expression fits, use it.
Sam