PDA

View Full Version : New 03. Needs work.

Kaliman
04-08-2017, 03:30
http://imgur.com/a/8E7m4

Alright boys here she is. She's a dog, but I really like her. I know I'll need a new front sightblade, bolt, and probably a stock repair somewhere down the line. But for the big ticket item - who can fill in and fix the drilled receiver? I want her to look unaltered. I contacted Shuffs but he can't do welding.

Other than that - what're your thoughts ?

Thanks

gwp
04-08-2017, 04:08
Looks good. I would enjoy it as it is. It may be difficult to weld it to like new.

Randy
04-08-2017, 04:24
Looks good. I would enjoy it as it is. It may be difficult to weld it to like new.

I agree. Looks good. If you find someone to weld the two holes, then your going to have to have it parkerized. You might want to leave it like it is and just shoot it

IditarodJoe
04-08-2017, 05:25
Nice looking WW1 rifle. I too would not worry about the screws. I certainly wouldn't try to weld the holes. If they bother you that much, just find a way to fill 'em.

How is the bore? Headspace?

bruce
04-08-2017, 05:47
Great rifle! Got one that is 810,xxx. Look around and you can find a proper bolt. Stock... do a dutchman for the bolt cutout. D/T receiver ... Fit filler screws that are slightly long. Cut off and file down to receiver. Parkerize. Would look very nice. Front sight ... easy fix. You have a very nice rifle. Looks like it will give you a lot of good times at the range and in the woods/fields. Sincerely. bruce.

Chaz
04-08-2017, 10:01
I agree, it's a sweet old 03. I wouldn't even bother to change the front blade if it shoots accurately. Enjoy!

Kaliman
04-09-2017, 05:02
The real pain with the bolt is that it's the bolt serialized to the rifle by the Marine Corps. May just have to deal with it. Seems like the screws in the receiver will be equally difficult to repair and I may pass on fixing that too.

Like I said, she's a dog but I really do like her.

pmclaine
04-09-2017, 05:45
Lots of USMC features.

Regards the mount holes, plug file, repark.

If you repark though the plugs will take the finish different and you will lose what looks like a nice original piss yellow/green Marine/Navy park finish.

louis
04-10-2017, 08:48
It's officially a USMC rifle. It has a hit on paperwork available through SRS. I'm certain the drilled scope holes were added later. Good luck with it.

I would leave it as it is because you'd take away the originality of it to get it refinished. Even with the screw holes