PDA

View Full Version : Possible M1903A1 NM?

Cosine26
04-09-2017, 09:44
For Discus240
Lest you become discouraged about the M1903 that you bought, lets examine it piece by piece. I am basing my thoughts on the pictures that you posted and the description that you gave. A personal examination by a me or an expert may point out some changes in my thoughts.
1.Receiver- This is a late manufactured, peach time, nickel steel receiver, with a "Hatcher" hole that looks as if it was done professionally , maybe by the Armory. It looks to have been parkerized by the Armory as it has the same color that some spare receivers that I received when I traded in some SHT receivers in the 1960. I do not see any dents or rust and presume that it is not cracked.
2. The Barrel is a SA barrel manufactured in peace time at the Armory. You say it is in good condition so I accept that. In his Book of the Springfield, Crossman indicates that the post 1929 service barrels were on a par with stir gauged barrels. It has intact a FSRB with a good M1905 sight. It is dated 1938 and is in the time frame of the receiver so may be original.
3. The Bolt is a later nickel steel bolt of the same vintage as the receiver and the barrel according to VI's charts, so may well be original to the receiver.
4. As nearly as I can tell the trigger guard assembly is a SA and appears to be of the color of two M1903
TG Assy"s that I ordered from the Army through the DCM in the 1960's.
5. The Butt Plate, while not of the NM configuration, is a checkered butt plate and appears to be one from a pre WWI or between the wars butt plate. While it is not of the NM configuration I have bought and used several on M1903's built for target use and have found them to be extremely better than the smooth butt plates or the 03A3 stamped butt plates.
5. The remainder of the visible stock hardware appear to be of armory manufacture and is satisfactory. I have to assume that the trigger and cutoff Assy's are of M1903 vintage.
In summary you have an intact M903 manufactured in approximately 1938 except for the firing pin and bolt sleeve Assy's. The stock appears top be of Remington M1903 manufacture - not 03A3 (I do not see the inletting for the barrel guard of the 03A3 in the stock). It has some dings and is not in really pristine. I am not prepared to address the hand guard.
In short- you have a very nice M1903 barreled action provided the rifle headspaces OK. If you can find a firing pin assy and a bolt sleeve of the correct vintage for a reasonable price you have a very nice M1903 which is becoming very rare the days Many were converted to Sporter or Match rifle configuration in the 1950's and 1960. While it is not "Collector" grade it is still a very nice rifle. Whether it is worth $1200 is up to you .
FWI
After reviewing the pictures again I am mistaken on the stock as it looks like a type "C" stock.