PDA

View Full Version : 1873 Trapdoor Carbine

james1970
05-08-2017, 03:07
Just wanted to run by a serial number to a early trapdoor carbine. The serial number is 2095. Was wondering if anynone knew if it was assigned to any units or if it would have been shipped anywhere with that range. Came across it and thought it to be a low pre Custer era carbine. Wanted to check if there was any thoughts. Thanks for your time.

Kindest Regards,
James

Tom Trevor
05-08-2017, 03:28
No listing for that number the closest recorded is 2085.

Dick Hosmer
05-08-2017, 09:55
Carbine 2095 was seen in the Sacramento CA area in 2010 and reported to me by a friend. Pretty nearly all of the firsrt 4000 +/- numbers were likely carbines as that was what was needed in the field. The 20,073 First Model carbines were made in three pronounced batches, but NONE of the arms from the first batch have ever been attributed to use at the LBH fight, at least not by a soldier. Lowest 7th Cav associated number is 12221, from the second batch. It spent a brief period as a Cadet rifle, in modern times, but is now a "carbine" again, I do not know who owns it now, or where it is, but I was told that a VERY large sum of money was invested in what amounts to just a receiver.

Kragrifle
05-09-2017, 05:33
Heard about that carbine.

james1970
05-09-2017, 10:05
Thank you Gentlemen for the responses. I actually came across it in Arkansas at an antique dealer. It was in some moderate shape, and saw it had a low serial number, but did not know anything about it. My knowledge is mostly in Victorian British military firearms, but I know from experience that it is always best to refer to these forums and talk with the experts and get numerous peoples opinions that have much more knowledge than me before purchasing anything. From what I remember that price was something around 6000 USD. That's a bit of change for like Dick said just a receiver. Thanks again Gentlemen and if I have anymore S/N I will run it by this forum again. I look forward to posting on these forums in the future about other subjects as well.

Kindest Regards,
James

Dick Hosmer
05-10-2017, 12:46
Heard about that carbine.

Which one - 2095 or 12221?

Dick Hosmer
05-10-2017, 01:00
Thank you Gentlemen for the responses. I actually came across it in Arkansas at an antique dealer. It was in some moderate shape, and saw it had a low serial number, but did not know anything about it. My knowledge is mostly in Victorian British military firearms, but I know from experience that it is always best to refer to these forums and talk with the experts and get numerous peoples opinions that have much more knowledge than me before purchasing anything. From what I remember that price was something around 6000 USD. That's a bit of change for like Dick said just a receiver. Thanks again Gentlemen and if I have anymore S/N I will run it by this forum again. I look forward to posting on these forums in the future about other subjects as well.

Kindest Regards,
James

"it" = 2095, or 12221?

if the former, please note that my comment about $$$$$ referred to the latter - I have no knowledge as to whether 2095 is correct, or a virgin, or anything else.

12221, on the other hand is a put-together. I once discussed it, personally, with the late Keith Rush of "Trapdoors Galore". He was offering it for sale as a cadet and I was incredulous that he (being an expert) was totally unaware of one of the best-known "Custer carbine" numbers extant. I was later informed by the late Ed Green (of the SF Presidio Army Museum) that the number had been made into a carbine again, and changed hands for big bucks. I did not receive a commission on the sale (tongue-in-cheek!) - in fact, I do not know who "restored" it. The only thing I do KNOW is that 12221 exists, but is NOT original.

james1970
05-10-2017, 09:19
The one I saw was 2095. I have never seen 12221 anywhere. Didn't pull the trigger on purchasing it since I didn't know much about the s/n other than it was a real early number. Last I saw 2095 was residing in Arkansas. I am guessing Kragrifle is talking about 12221, but not sure either.