PDA

View Full Version : Browning Museum

Ken Hill
05-08-2017, 03:40
Had a good day today. We went to Ogden Utah and at the Union Station went to the John Browning museum.

One old timer there by the name of Leon Jones, who we later came to learn is married within the family of Val Browning and the Chairman of the Board of the museum.

In my typical fashion I mentioned that the Singer the museum has didn't appear
real. He said that it was and it was made out of pot metal as a prototype by Singer. He also said they had a real Singer that was bequeathed to them by Charles Folsom, Maj USMC (Ret). Folsom, who had to know Maj. Dick Culver, is a Nebraskan and as it turns out is a friend of Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide who handled the turnover to the Browning Museum.

Well Robin and I got invited to the basement vault and for two hours got to look over 100 or more pistols owned by Folsom.

Singer S800162 in 95% condition all correct except for a HS Barrel. Marine Corps issued No 3515 in 90%. Folsom was a member of the Marine Corps shooting team and there were many natl match guns, many ACEs, pre war 38 Supers. Lots of 1911s, a pristine Springfield and 1911A1. Colts, RR, Ithaca etc. there was a 1911 Webley No 76550 and I showed Jones I own 76762. Many Argentinians, several Norwegians, couple Mexican Obregons et al.

Ending it all he showed me the pot metal Singer. Stamped by Singer with REAL HOLLOW BACK Keyes grips.

One terrific day!

kwill
05-08-2017, 05:37
And you didn't take a single picture?!

Ken Hill
05-08-2017, 06:31
And you didn't take a single picture?!

Kevin I did, the Singer with a Nikon that's not processed since we're on the road. Also I was too busy looking to tell the truth :)