PDA

View Full Version : Stock gap

BEAR
05-11-2017, 07:39
Not being an M1 collector I have a question concerning the gap between the receiver and the stock.

Reading one of my son's military surplus gun magazines I noticed in an M1 Garand article they said there should always be a slight gap between the rearward section of the receiver and the stock below.

Never heard that before...but doesn't mean it's not true. So I pulled out my 2 rifles and 'sho 'nuff' my older M1 has that gap. I have put a lot of rounds through it and it functions flawlessly. However, my newer rifle, acquired in January 2017, does not have this gap (and it has a brand new commercial stock). I have yet to shoot this rifle (Washington weather sucked this winter).

Should I be concerned about this lack of gap and create one or will it be fine as is? Oh yes, both trigger housings lock up tight.

BEAR

Major Tom
05-12-2017, 03:28
Commercial wood probably will not have that gap. Is it a Boyds stock? Those are notorious for being greatly out of military specs. All original wood will have that gap. DGR restocked my garand years ago. He (now deceased) used Wenig wood and the gap is present. I would say if the rifle shoots OK then no problem. I do not know why the gap was designed in the wood.

Dan Shapiro
05-12-2017, 07:40
You'll note that the 'gap' is over the area of the trigger housing where the lockup occurs between the trigger group and the receiver. IIRC, it was done so as to increase the tension of the lockup in conjunction with the 'spring' of the floorplate. The bearing surfaces would be on either side of the lockup.

BEAR
05-13-2017, 11:36
Thanks for the replies.

BEAR

S.B.
08-27-2017, 04:00
Shoot it then decide if it needs the gap?
Steve

S.B.
08-27-2017, 04:10
Shoot it then decide if it needs the gap?
Steve

Richard H Brown Jr
08-28-2017, 06:11
Shoi=ot it, and then swap stocks with the other rifle, and shoot again, and see how it varies.

R. Brown