PDA

View Full Version : 60 years ago tomorrow..................

Dan Shapiro
05-16-2017, 08:27
Springfield Daily News - 17 May 1957 - "GARAND SEES LAST NAMESAKE ROLL OFF ARMORY PRODUCTION LINE

Modest John Garand, the Springfield man whose genius attracted world wide attention through his contribution to military small arms, today termed the adoption of the fully automatic T-44 to replace his Garand rifle 'as a fitting and necessary step.'
He attended with a group of officers and top civilians the turning out of the last M-1 rifle for general field purposes at the local gun plant.
A soft spoken man, immaculately dressed, and quick on his feet, Mr. Garand refused to make any comment on how much of a part he played in the development of the T-44, fully automatic rifle which is to replace the M-1 for use of American and NATO troops.
If the almost legendary gun maker refused to discuss his role in making the new rifle possible, others close to Armory production claimed that the part he played was a significant one.
Ninety-per cent of the assembly line making the Garand can be converted to make the versatile T-44, it was pointed out.
Mr. Garand in brief comments while he waited for the photographer to take pictures of him holding the last general purpose M-1, said that the need for a smaller cartridge was obvious and was now being fulfilled by the new weapon.
The T-44 rifle which can fire a clip of 20 rounds without reloading, uses a smaller bullet and smaller sized parts to cut down on the rifle weight."

S.A. Boggs
05-16-2017, 08:33
Boy that reporter got the facts wrong on the 7.62 NATO cartridge.
Sam

Dan Shapiro
05-16-2017, 09:43
Boy that reporter got the facts wrong on the 7.62 NATO cartridge.

Aside from not knowing the difference between a clip and a magazine.

IditarodJoe
05-16-2017, 10:59
I suspect he also doesn't know the difference between a cartridge and a bullet. I'm not sure that an M14 with a full magazine is very much lighter than a Garand with a full clip.

Dan Shapiro
05-16-2017, 02:19
9.7 lbs vs 10.7 lbs. So the M14 added 1 pound. But it was a "miracle" weapon. Going to replace the M1, M1 carbine, BAR, Thompson and M3 sub-machine guns.

S.A. Boggs
05-16-2017, 04:48
9.7 lbs vs 10.7 lbs. So the M14 added 1 pound. But it was a "miracle" weapon. Going to replace the M1, M1 carbine, BAR, Thompson and M3 sub-machine guns.
Wasn't it also going to make the morning cup of joe? I always found the M1 to shoot and handle easier.
Sam

Griff Murphey
05-16-2017, 08:43
Wasn't it also going to make the morning cup of joe? I always found the M1 to shoot and handle easier.
Sam

The M-14 is quite light across the NMC, most of the time it has only one round in it at a time. Quite light in rapid with only 8 rds. When I started shooting 3 gun with it (M-1A) and lugged it around with stoked up 20 rounders it came as a rude surprise.... It gets to be quite a pig at that point.

Major Tom
05-17-2017, 03:57
I carried the M14 during my Army service and in Vietnam. It was my favorite rifle even tho fully loaded it was heavy and the extra ammo magazines added to significant weight. Normal combat load was 4 extra loaded magazines; some of carried as many as 8 loaded extra magazines.

nf1e
05-17-2017, 05:26
4 mags for the M-14 and as many bandoleers as you felt comfortable with for me in 1967 RVN summer camp with the USMC.

Semper Fi
Art

Griff Murphey
05-17-2017, 12:23
4 mags for the M-14 and as many bandoleers as you felt comfortable with for me in 1967 RVN summer camp with the USMC.

Semper Fi
Art

Well I want to tell you the REAL summer camp at Fort Sill in summer 1970 was not terribly dangerous but it was certainly great practice for being miserable. I was 21 and they were always on our asses about having the rifle in our hands, never slung. I cheated by having my mag pouch way around on the side and jamming the magazine up against it, forearm on top, big fat Army double mag pouch. Looked like an underarm carry (see my avatar) but my load carrying equipment carried the rifle for me. I have no idea if this would have been workable in real combat. Thankfully. They ran us through a "Vietnam village" and showed us the toe poppers, punjis, Malayan gates, UXBs in trees, and bouncing Betty's. Scared the crap out of me. So I changed to the Navy and got sent on the Evacuation in '75 with BLT 1-4. What I deserved, I guess.