PDA

View Full Version : Need stock help

swampyankee
05-29-2017, 04:23
A friend inherited a hunting cabin in Maine and found some guns which he gave me as he doesn't shoot. One is a Krag which someone sporterized, rebarreled, and must have tried three different scope mounts as there are six holes on the side of the receiver.
The other rifle is a POOR 1884 Trapdoor which they cut the barrel with a hacksaw, excellent rifling ofcource, silver soldered a front sight ,which fell off when I pushed it. The stock is too horrible too describe but after they shortened it they decided to put a pistol grip of metal behind trigger guard and made an attempt at wood carving on the butt. I could just part out the gun but as I stated it has an excellent barrel so I would like to at least make a shooter out of it. Long story short I need a already cut down stock if anyone has one sticking in a corner. I posted in the WTB section but figured someone here might have one hanging around .Thanks

Kragrifle
05-29-2017, 05:44
eBay

Tom Trevor
05-29-2017, 08:44
Even a cut down stock these days is not cheap.

Allen
05-29-2017, 09:55
eBay

Don't know what the rifle is worth to you but there is an un-cut stock on ebay for $200 and a couple of barrel assm's with nice bores for $140-160 or so.

alfajim
05-30-2017, 01:46
There is one seller on eBay from Florida that is parting out a lot of trapdoors some in great condition and some not so much he has stocks listing for around $125.00 - $150.00 or so.
I got a cut down one in very good condition from him for my shooter project also a barrel/receiver in fair cosmetic condition on the outside and a virtually new bore.
So highly recommend buying from him.

Jim

Kragrifle
05-30-2017, 05:03
Remember you can buy a pretty good TD for $600. Check serial number and receiver condition before embarking on a restoration. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's just fun.

sdkrag
05-30-2017, 07:37
Is the metal pistol grip an original attachment? They were used in the service for target competition.

swampyankee
05-30-2017, 11:03
Thanks guys. but not a restoration and not an original metal pistol grip. It's a poor 1884 that was butchered by Bubba to make a deer rifle, and I'm just trying to make a shooter out of it instead of just parting it out. As it looks now I probably couldn't get $50 for it.