PDA

View Full Version : British made WW2 Enfield rifles

Merc
06-16-2017, 10:22
What are all the possible models and manufacturers of British made Enfields that could have been used by the Brits during WW2?

p246
06-16-2017, 09:40
Hmm No 4 Mark 1,no 1 Mark III and III*' sten, No 5 Mark 1' No 4T, left over P14s, Thompson just off my head.

p246
06-16-2017, 09:55
No 4 manufacturers
ROF Fazakerly
ROF Maltby
BSA
Longbrach
Savage

No 5
ROF Fazakerly
BSA

no 1 Mark III or III *

Lot of left over rifles

Lithgow
RFI (India)
SSA
ENFIELD RSAF
BSA

P14
Winchester
Remington
Eddystone

STEN

Enfield RSAF
BSA
ROF FAZAKERLY
ROF Maltby
ROF Theale
Berkshire
LB ltd
Long Branch

If I missed one someone please chime in.

p246
06-16-2017, 09:57
Got to thinking did RFI make any STENS, I believe they made sterling later on.

Sunray
06-17-2017, 09:48
"...No. 1 Mark III*..." Were not all left overs from anything. Made by BSA(Birmingham Small Arms) until 1942.
Eddystone was a Remington plant too. Not a different company.
"...British made Lee-Enfields..." Royal Small Arms - Enfield, RSAF Sparkbrook, Birmingham Small Arms Co. and London Small Arms Co. made No. 1 Mk III's and Mk III*'s. No. 4's were made in ROF Fazakerley and ROF Maltby. BSA Co. set up their Shirley plant. The Brits didn't have the manufacturing capability to make all the rifles they needed, especially after Dunkirk, so Savage and Canadian Arsenals picked up the slack. There were hordes of small shops all over Britain making parts too.
And a No. 4 rifle is not an SMLE.

Merc
06-18-2017, 04:53
Thanks for the help guys. A friend who posts on this forum has asked me to keep an eye out for a shootable WW2 British made Enfield rifle in decent shape while I'm at gun shows in the Western Pennsylvania area. I usually hit a couple of flea markets in Florida in February. I wanted to know how many types I have to choose from. I've seen several WW2 Savage made Enfield No. 4s and a few from WW1 but no WW2s so far from Britain. All were in rough shape and nearly all had worn muzzles.

JB White
06-18-2017, 07:03
British made. You've got the No4's covered. BSA was the only BRITISH maker of the SMLE so you might find stacked rifle commercial markings along with the royal cypher on the buttsocket from early war. Once things got heated up you'll find 'dispersal rifles' with markings and traits which stray from the norm.
Most notable would be a B above 19 with the final two digits of the year hand stamped separately.