PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor questions?

THBailey
07-24-2017, 12:42
Bought my first trapdoors in a two for one money bid item at the recent RIA auction.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1029/4100/two-u-s-springfield-trapdoor-rifles#detail

After a fair bit of online reading about these guns I have a couple of questions I would appreciate some help on.

The first gun is an 1873 ser # 195465 that appears fairly correct on parts, stamps and measurements. The bore, unfortunately, is pitted and corroded beyond use. I am wondering about others satisfaction and results when putting a liner in these guns? I am thinking of the 1-22" 3 groove from TOTW? Any reason I would not want to do this?

The second gun is an 1870 that likewise seems to have the correct parts and stamps, and a really nice 3-groove bore, but its measurements are off. 48" overall, 28 1/2" muzzle to block hinge pin, bands 12" apart. I am guessing it was converted to a cadet configuration somewhere along the line, but it sure looks like alloriginal construction. I am hoping the board might have some better information on this gun? Photos show the number 1561 on the barrel only, and the cartouche.

AZshooter
03-12-2018, 05:06
Consider contacting Bob Hoyt or Ed Rayl about relining your original barrel first.

steved66
03-12-2018, 07:50
Good suggestion to contact Bobby Hoyt about relining the original barrel. He as a lot of experience doing this. Regarding the M1870, the barrel should be 32.6" and the bands should be 18 5/8" apart, according to the info on the Trapdoor Collector website. There is no mention of a Cadet version of the M1870. Unlike the M1868 which had serial numbers on the barrel and the receiver, the M1870 did not have serial numbers. Yours looks to have a serial number on the barrel, but it is higher up on the barrel and a different font than used on the M1868 barrels. Not sure of the origin.

twb
03-20-2018, 07:34
While trapdoors are not part of his core business, I had my trapdoor relined by Romano Rifle http://www.romanorifle.com/ and I'm quite happy with it. Apparently he took into consideration my plan to use jacketed bullets and smokeless powder when he cut the rifling.