PDA

View Full Version : RtL's October Book Sale!

Rick the Librarian
10-10-2017, 06:01
Book list “neatened” to allow easier access to what is left. Any book not on list has been sold, pending arrival of funds.

Attached are a nice group of books for fall and winter reading. I have a large number of books on World War II and military history, as well as other subjects. Watch carefully, as there are several “bundle offers to be had!

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure and now comes with tracking numbers. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) Books are for sale on several forums. When two people offer to buy the same book or books, the earlier email/PM is considered first. I try to update this list to show purchased books at least once a day.

I. “Rick’s Picks”:

1. “Goodbye Darkness” by William Manchester. SPF

2. “A Higher Call” by Adam Makos. SPF

3. “Messerschmitt Aces” by Walter Musciano. SPF

4. “Away All Boats” by Kenneth Dodson SPF

5) “The Royal Oak Disaster” by Gerald Snyder. The real story - researched after much of the primary documentation was released from embargo by the Official Secrets Act - of the sinking of the HMS Royal Oak by the Nazi U-boat U-47 in 1939. Ex. plastic cover but NOT ex-library. $7.95

6. “Hero of Bataan: The Story of General Jonathan Wainwright by Duane Schultz. SPF

II. World War II

1. Harnessing the Sky by Frederick Trapnell. SPF

2. “The Fall of Berlin” by Anthony Beevor. Beevor writes in this richly detailed reconstruction of events in the final days of Adolf Hitler's Berlin. Following savage years of campaigns in Russia, the Nazi regime had not only failed to crush Bolshevism, it had brought the Soviet army to the very gates of the capital. That army, ill-fed and hungry for vengeance, unloosed its fury on Berlin just a month later in a long siege that would cost hundreds of thousands of lives on both sides. G-VG trade ppk., 4.95

3. “Foo: The Secret Prison Diary of Frank “Foo” Fujita.” SPF

4. “Pearl Harbor, Final Judgement.” By Henry Clausen. In 1944, Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson, knowing that high-ranking members of the military had falsely testified before the various bodies investigating the attack on Pearl Harbor, selected a then-unknown major by the name of Henry C. Clausen to undertake a new investigation. From November 1944 to September 1945, Clausen traveled more than 55,000 miles and interviewed over a hundred U.S. and British Army, Navy, and civilian personnel. Trade ppk., VG-Ex. $4.95

5. “Doing Battle: The Making of a Skeptic” by Paul Fussell. In this highly-praised autobiographical work, the author of "The Great War and Modern Memory" recounts his own experience of combat in WWII and how it became a determining force in his life. "Doing Battle" is at once a summing-up of one man's life and profoundly thoughtful portrait of America's own search for identity in the second half of this century. Trade ppk. Ex., $4.95

6. “They Were Expendable” by W.L/ White. SPF

8. “1939: The Alliance That Failed” by Michael Carley. At a crucial point in the twentieth century, as Nazi Germany prepared for war, negotiations between Britain, France, and the Soviet Union became the last chance to halt Hitler’s aggression. Incredibly, the French and British governments dallied, talks failed and the USSR signed a treaty with Germany. VG-Ex., $8.95

9. “Time Life History of World War II” SPF

10. “Signal: Hitler’s Wartime Picture Magazine” by S.L. Meyer (ed.) A German propaganda magazine IN ENGLISH! At its outset, Signal was brashly optimistic, packed full of photographs celebrating the Third Reich's triumph over its enemies--but the last issue would appear on April 12, 1945, just weeks before the Reich's surrender. In Hitler's War, historian S.L. Meyer charts the downfall of the Nazi regime through the lens of Signal magazine, from the heady days of the Blitzkrieg--when a German victory seemed to be just around the corner VG-Ex. oversized, $9.95

11 “War in the Pacific” by Bernard Nalty. A HUGE oversized pictorial history, with emphasis on equipment, maps and weapons. VG-Ex. $8.00

12. “Ghost Soldiers” by Hampton Sides. The rescue of 500+ Allied POWs at Cabanatuan by the 6th Ranger Battalion in early 1945. Ex. to near new, $6.95.

13. “Betrayal At Pearl Harbor” James Rusbridger. If you go for Pearl Harbor conspiracy, his one says it was all Churchill’s fault. Near new trade ppk., $5.00

14. “The German Navy” by Cajus Bekker. For the naval enthusiast, this belongs on your bookshelf. Bekker incorporates many archival photos and knowledge of tactics used in various phases of the naval war conducted above and below the seas, including the problems of battleship technology, development of the U-Boat Waffe. Chapters on artic warfare, the Mediterranean operations, U-Boats in distant oceans, and torpedo boats in the Dover Straits are especially interesting. Near new, $8.95

15. “And I Was There” by Edwin Layton. Finally free to tell his story, retired Admiral Layton published his revelations in this memoir in 1985 to worldwide attention. It is the first book by a top-ranking American naval officer to describe how Japan had managed to inflict such damage. Layton names those who knew about the Japanese intentions, how they acquired their knowledge, and how they misused it. Trade ppk. VG-Ex. $6.95

16. “Implacable Foes: War in the Pacific, 1944-1945”. Waldo Heinrichs. In Implacable Foes, award-winning historians Waldo Heinrichs (a veteran of both theatres of war in World War II) and Marc Gallicchio bring to life the final year of World War Two in the Pacific right up to the dropping of the atomic bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, evoking not only Japanese policies of desperate defense, but the sometimes rancorous debates on the home front. They deliver a gripping and provocative narrative that challenges the decision-making of U.S. leaders and delineates the consequences of prioritizing the European front. NEW!! $15.00 (regularly $34.95)

17. “Sea of Thunder” by Evan Thomas. SPF

18. “South Pacific Destroyer” by Russell Crenshaw. SPF

19. “Six Armies in Normandy” by John Keegan. SPF

20. “Dropzone Normandy” by Napier Crookenden. SPF

21. D-Day: June 6, 1944” by Stephen Ambrose. SPF

III. General and Military History:

1. “The Yom Kippur War” by Abraham Rabinovitch. SPF

2. “Vimy” by Pierre Berton. SPF

3. “1918: Year of Crisis, Year of Change” by Joseph Carter. SPF

4. “The Path Between the Seas” by David McCullough. SPF

5. “The Great Bridge” by David McCollough. SPF

6. “Six Frigates” by Ian Toll. The first large warships built for the US Navy in the 1790s. Would a navy protect from pirates or drain the treasury and provoke hostility? Britain alone had hundreds of powerful warships. From the decision to build six heavy frigates, through the cliff-hanger campaign against Tripoli, to the war that shook the world in 1812, Ian W. Toll tells this grand tale with the political insight of Founding Brothers and the narrative flair of Patrick O'Brian. No d/j, otherwise, near new, $7.95

7. “The Incredible Great White Fleet” by Samuel Carter. When the new battle fleet for the US Navy was completed, TR the showman was determined to flex our nation's naval muscles. He sent sixteen of our battleships (along with a bevy of support vessels) on a circumnavigation of the globe which lasted from 1907 to 1909, with frequent calls at ports along the way. The US Navy ships involved were all painted a gleaming peacetime white. Near new, $6.00

gwp
10-10-2017, 08:25
I will take these if still available.

“US Infantry Weapons in Combat” by Mark Goodwin $17.50

***Bundle Price – Buy ALL Patrick McManus books above for just $19.95! ***

Rick the Librarian
10-14-2017, 06:08
List updated. RtL