PDA

View Full Version : Walnut media in tumblers

Ken The Kanuck
10-23-2017, 02:11
I understand that nut allergies are very bad news to some folks.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41726498

KTK

JB White
10-23-2017, 02:55
Turns out it was very bad for this guy. Even if the product was labeled it might not have helped. How could he have seen the containers?
I agree the media ingredients should at least be labeled, and those who are aware of their allergies need to be aware of so many of today's uses.

I think what is wrecking the warning label thing are the warnings about "MAY contain nuts", and "Produced in a facility which handles nuts" etc. People get jaded, apathetic, yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah.
Personally I no longer care if a "Product is known to contain trace elements of a compound known to cause cancer in California".
Everything there causes cancer!!

Nonetheless I feel for the guy and his family. It was a million to one shot that it would happen to him on that day.

barretcreek
10-23-2017, 04:02
Not to be unsympathetic; if I had one of those allergies I'd have one of those pens.

AZshooter
10-23-2017, 11:45
Whether silica sand, or the walnut hulls that replaced it, proper respiratory equipment would have prevented this problem - especially since he was removing leaded paint at the time. Someone either didn't provide the guy with proper gear to do his job, or he didn't mind inhaling toxic lead-based paint dust & decided not to use provided respiratory filtration.

If I had a potentially life threatening sensitivity, I'd ALWAYS have an antidote or treatment at hand.

Major Tom
10-24-2017, 04:34
I use wet media (stainless steel pins) in a rotary tumbler. A bit more expensive to buy the equipment, but the results are fantastic! Hope there are no health problems with that!

JB White
10-24-2017, 08:34
I use wet media (stainless steel pins) in a rotary tumbler. A bit more expensive to buy the equipment, but the results are fantastic! Hope there are no health problems with that!

There might be if you're tumbling lead painted nuts. Just something to keep in mind.
At one time I was breaking out in a rash and had some minor respiratory symptoms. Later I found out that working with some tropical hardwoods released toxins. Fortunately for me it didn't hit me as hard as it did some others. Ya never know until.... They should label those trees! ;)