PDA

View Full Version : Future of the Forum - Part Two

SysAd
10-27-2017, 12:49
After the poll results were in, I started working on the database. After serious pruning of the two non vital forums, we don't seem to be any better off. Probably that annoying idiosyncrasy of MySQL databases. They just hate to remove the empty spaces from which data was deleted. After several compressions, I got it down by less than 100 megabytes. That leaves us with half the remaining posts needing to be deleted, which pretty much cripples the forum.

Here is what I have decided to do: First, I am happy to say that I have received enough support to pay about 65% of the cost for the coming year. Although I continue to appreciate donations, I will fill in the rest myself if need be. Most of you are veterans and given what you have done for the country, it's the least I can do for you.

Dick Hosmer
10-28-2017, 08:03
Pat, thank you very much for what you have done!!! What time frame did you use for pruming? Would it help to get more aggressive, like 15 days? Can the deleted material just be stored on a separate storage device and made available for a small fee? Not asking you to edit - the buyer would have to take all or nothing, just a simple copying process?

SysAd
10-28-2017, 09:21
Actually, part of the problem is of the database itself. The bugger is nearly two gigabytes and the limit on the cheaper service is one. Splitting a database would cost a bundle as things that complex takes an database expert, which I am not. The best way to maintain the integrity of the site and all the really good information acquired here is to just keep it on the present server.

Mark in Ottawa
10-28-2017, 02:58
You may have done this already but can you post how we can contribute. I will be out of action for the next week or so as I am going into hospital for knee replacement surgery on Monday but I will be happy to contribute when I am somewhat functional again

SysAd
10-29-2017, 10:33
Hi Mark, First, there is a link in the menu above that says "Support This Site" that has all the information. Second, good luck with the surgery. I've been putting the same thing off for years, no cartilage left in either knee. I hear that how well the recovery goes is dependent on how diligent one is with the physical therapy. Hope all goes well, keep us posted!