PDA

View Full Version : My daughter detained in Istanbul

JB White
10-31-2017, 05:20
She has set foot back on US soil and had no real travel problems. She was however detained for several hours in customs during a two day layover in Turkey. Treated nicely by the Turks, they double and triple checked her itinerary before releasing her.
Now, having been educated at ISU she has gone the liberal route in her brain. Since the Turks mentioned Trump and the travel ban, she blames Trump. There has to be more since Turkey isn't on that list. Apparently they were somewhat surprised when they saw the American passport. Why?

bruce
10-31-2017, 05:32
Why? No idea. Was in Turkey back when the first Gulf War started. Nice place. Just had to understand that it was not then and is not now a place where the assumptions of western culture are the norm. Glad your daughter is back in the USA. Her political ideas or yours are irrelevant. Just glad she got out and back. Sincerely. bruce.

m1ashooter
10-31-2017, 06:01
Was she detained in Turkey by their customs people or when she got back in the states?

Ken The Kanuck
10-31-2017, 06:35
Glad she is okay.

KTK

JB White
10-31-2017, 08:09
Good to have her back here too. Thanks for all that. First thing she did upon returning was get herself a new Jeep Compass. Good! I got my Ford Explorer back. :)

Was she detained in Turkey by their customs people or when she got back in the states?

Turkish customs. They checked her travels and told her all was OK since her trip had been planned so far in advance. Manchester UK. Liverpool. London. Istanbul. Paris. Naples. I asked about it perhaps being about her cameras and wondered about her profession as a photographer. All I got was, "It's Trump's fault".
I reckon I need to phone the POTUS and ask him to stop messing with my kid. LOL

Tuna
10-31-2017, 08:15
It's not because of Trump. It's because of Kurds and the Kurdish people. The Turks consider them to be terrorists as does the US even though we have supported them in the fight against ISIS. The Turks are afraid that the US will side with them in any attempt by Turkey to remove them from the areas where they are now including Iraq. The government of Iraq is afraid we will back them in their attempt to form their own country which is rich in oil and is part of Iraq. There is no clear answer here to any of it. But it is not Trump's doing as this was going on long before Trump was elected. Not a lot of Americans traveling over there so that may be why they were surprised at her US passport. There is one more thing too. That they checked her out to be sure she was not one of those flakey women who went to ISIS to support their cause early on.

JB White
10-31-2017, 08:33
Now there is a good reason. Couple that with the fact her fiancée out of Dallas looks a lot more Arab than he does Texican...so it's all HIS fault!
Nice guy. I would never say that to them.

barretcreek
10-31-2017, 08:37
Bored paper pushers looking for someone to mess with. See how she reacted. The government in Ankara is not worried about a reaction from D.C. so these guys knew they could get away with minor misconduct.

Listing her profession as 'photographer' may have had something to do with it. Photographer being synonymous for journalist as opposed to selling pics for calendars and greeting cards.

Former Cav
10-31-2017, 05:02
Glad she made it out, but for the life of me, I have no idea why someone would go to Turkey, the middle east, Iran, North Korea etc.
You are asking for trouble whether or NOT Trump did any travel bans or NOT.
I have a cousin (female of course) who almost went to Iran with some Iranian dude. The guy started treating her like chit in London and she decided NOT to go. She was LUCKY she got that last breath of "common sense".