PDA

View Full Version : left hand 22 semi auto pistol

free1954
11-04-2017, 10:30
looking for recommendations on a 22 caliber semi auto for a left handed shooter. anybody here shooting something similar? something that doesn't throw empties in your face or have a right hand only grip. thanks for looking.

dave
11-05-2017, 07:36
Never heard of such a thing. May exist but must be rare.

free1954
11-05-2017, 08:55
not looking for a dedicated left hand pistol. just one that can be fired left handed without throwing brass in your face.

leftyo
11-08-2017, 09:21
just about any will work, so long as the grips arent shaped for rh use only. if they throw brass in your face, your way to close to it.

Sunray
11-09-2017, 10:11
"...something that doesn't throw empties..." A right handed .22 pistol doesn't do that. Very few, if any, factory left hand gripped, .22 pistols. Herrett makes their 'Camp Perry' grip in left or right. Decidedly not cheap at $162.50 though.
http://www.herrettstocks.com/ccpryful.htm

Allen
11-09-2017, 10:45
Shoot a revolver--problem solved with the brass and grips.

free1954
11-10-2017, 03:07
thanks for the replies, but i'm not looking for a revolver and the only way I could get not too close is to let someone else shoot it.

leftyo
11-10-2017, 08:37
seriously, you are holding a semi auto pistol a foot or more in front of you, they wont hit you with brass. just so happens ive shot a lot of guns left handed, and the only one that does anything is the M1 garand, and that ejects the clip onto my forehead, so i wear a hat.

free1954
11-11-2017, 05:35
sir, I have been shooting semi auto pistols left handed for over half a century, I am looking for HONEST opinions of what pistols other left handed shooters are using, not shooting lessons.
what .22 semi autos do you shoot. seriously?

Jim in Salt Lake
11-11-2017, 08:37
A buddy of mine is a left handed distinguished bullseye shooter and I asked him. He uses a High Standard for the .22 stage and said he has no problems with ejection. Leftie grips were available back in the day, I don't know about now. He got obsessed with them and had over 30 of them at one time. Another thought I had was to look at videos of Ruger Rimfire Challenge matches and look for the lefties and what they're shooting. You'd get to see where the empty brass flies, too.

leftyo
11-11-2017, 08:45
sir, I have been shooting semi auto pistols left handed for over half a century, I am looking for HONEST opinions of what pistols other left handed shooters are using, not shooting lessons.

currently browning buckmark target 5.5, and a browning 1911-22. as long as the grips arent shaped specifically for a righty, you'll have no issues with about any pistol. the buckmark did not come with LH friendly grips.

free1954
11-12-2017, 05:01
currently browning buckmark target 5.5, and a browning 1911-22. as long as the grips arent shaped specifically for a righty, you'll have no issues with about any pistol. the buckmark did not come with LH friendly grips.

what did you do to make the buckmark left hand friendly? never seen that 1911-22 before, looks like a great pistol.

leftyo
11-12-2017, 04:56
what did you do to make the buckmark left hand friendly? never seen that 1911-22 before, looks like a great pistol.

different grips.

free1954
11-12-2017, 05:16
who were they made by? could you post a picture of them?

leftyo
11-12-2017, 05:49
ya know its been a long time, and i dont remember who made the grips. dont have any pics either. if you google browning buckmark grips i think youll find quite a few choices out there.

free1954
11-12-2017, 05:54
figured as much. too bad they didn't have one of those emoji's of someone jerking off, it would have saved me all the typing.

leftyo
11-12-2017, 07:45
figured as much. too bad they didn't have one of those emoji's of someone jerking off, it would have saved me all the typing.

never mind, wont ever try and help you out again.

AZshooter
11-26-2017, 11:21
Which semiautos have you fired that hit you in the face? Is this an actual problem or anticipated problem? I shoot lefthanded, and have many decades and thousands of rounds fired thru 2 different Ruger MK I's - never been hit in the face even once by either of them. The rest of the Ruger MK series should be equally 'safe' for you. Additionally, none of my centerfire semiautos pose any hazard, either.

If you've got all those years of pistol shooting under your belt, you should have a pretty good idea of what to avoid. If it were my concern, I'd be spending more time at my range watching other shooters, andasking the .22 semiauto shooters about their choice of guns. Ask nicely & you may get van invite to try theirs. Another option is an indoor range at a large gunshop. You'll have opportunity to try a variety to see what works best for you.

PWC
11-27-2017, 09:12
I had a friend, dead now, that used plain wood grips on which he slathered a plastic molding product, then picked up the gun and held it in with his 'target hold' until the plastic set. Then he cleaned up the grips and gun making minor modifications as he went. Every time he picked up the gun it was his perfect fit.

free1954
12-10-2017, 03:53
Which semiautos have you fired that hit you in the face? Is this an actual problem or anticipated problem? I shoot lefthanded, and have many decades and thousands of rounds fired thru 2 different Ruger MK I's - never been hit in the face even once by either of them. The rest of the Ruger MK series should be equally 'safe' for you. Additionally, none of my centerfire semiautos pose any hazard, either.

If you've got all those years of pistol shooting under your belt, you should have a pretty good idea of what to avoid. If it were my concern, I'd be spending more time at my range watching other shooters, andasking the .22 semiauto shooters about their choice of guns. Ask nicely & you may get van invite to try theirs. Another option is an indoor range at a large gunshop. You'll have opportunity to try a variety to see what works best for you.

i know what to avoid,I was looking for recommendations of what other people were shooting left handed. I've been hit with brass from a few pistols, I have an amt .380 backup that puts empties in the middle of my forehead. also I have a sccy cpx-2 that I hit the mag release sometimes when fired left handed. these are the things I was asking about.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a friend, dead now, that used plain wood grips on which he slathered a plastic molding product, then picked up the gun and held it in with his 'target hold' until the plastic set. Then he cleaned up the grips and gun making minor modifications as he went. Every time he picked up the gun it was his perfect fit.

thanks for the reply.

mike9905
07-14-2018, 08:43
Hammerli 208 was available with factory left handed grips. Smith Wesson model 41 has ambidextrous semi-thumbrest grips. As I recall, the shooter two positions to the right of a guy shooting a Ruger would get showered with empties. Why not observe some bullseye matches to see ejection patterns?

free1954
07-17-2018, 03:38
thanks for the reply.