PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe Lockout

Pete Davis
11-11-2017, 12:05
Safe is a Cannon American Eagle purchased 2003.

Keypad functions, recognizes code but solenoid fails to kick open the lugs.

Have tried lithium battery, pounding on the door and all the other recommended fixes.

Called Cannon and got someone in the p'pines.

About to call a locksmith who can drill.

Any experience here?

PD

barretcreek
11-11-2017, 12:50
One more thing to fear from the Nork's EMP. Not being familiar with one my thought is you are going to have to access the camming mechanism by trashing the dial/keypad part.

Pete Davis
11-11-2017, 01:17
No doubt. Always was a tad leery of the keypad lock. 13 years is a good service life I reckon. I will replace with a dial unit, assuming I can ever get back in there.

PD

barretcreek
11-11-2017, 01:22
Get a case of beer and invite some friends to bring a crowbar. A good angle grinder with several cutoff blades and you could peel the top or bottom off without serious damage to the Purdey.

JB White
11-11-2017, 02:50
What did Cannon tell you? If they told you "sorry, you're SOL" and left you hanging...screw that outfit.
They should have at least offered some sort of help or options.

Mike Josephic
11-11-2017, 02:57
Call a professional. They will know how to get into that lock without destroying your safe in the process.
There should not be a need to drill, cut into the safe or any of that nonsense.
Google your local area to find a good locksmith that specializes in safes.

They will also likely tell you (if they are honest) that digital keypads are more trouble than they are worth.

Pete Davis
11-11-2017, 03:19
Cannon operator kept telling me to change the battery. They said that if all the fixes I mentioned were ineffective, thast Cannon would arrange a drill-out in the #4-500range. That's it.

PD

leftyo
11-11-2017, 04:14
i learned a few years back. had a browning safe that the solenoid failed in. i cut the safe open as it wasnt worth the money to have a locksmith drill it out and then repair it. not that a mechanical dial lock cant fail, but very rare.

jmm03
11-11-2017, 05:39
Pete, I watched a youtube video by I believe "Mr. Locksmith" or something similar where he used a strong rare earth magnet and opened the safe in about 30 seconds flat. He put the magnet at around the 11 oclock position relative to the dial and it activated the lock mechanism solenoid. Worth a look. Good luck. Jim

Sunray
11-12-2017, 09:22
Doesn't take or require a lock smith. You can drill the thing yourself with any hand drill.
Rare Earth magnets can be had from Lee Valley Tools, as I recall. 1/2" x 1/8" runs $1.60.

Jim in Salt Lake
11-12-2017, 09:24
+1 on calling a locksmith. The guy we use for our range locks and member keys says those electronic locks are his job security! I had asked him if I could change my dial lock to electronic and that was his answer. He can get them open, maybe he uses the rare earth magnet process from jmm03. He can also replace them with mechanical. I'm sure these aren't rare skills and you can find them near you. Even if the safe is 13 years old, I'd fix what you have and not destroy it and buy another. It can be a pain moving those things. A buddy of mine is moving to Idaho and we just moved his three safes down a bunch of stairs into his garage. PITA.

Pete Davis
11-12-2017, 10:23
Thanks guys. On the trail of a locksmith now. No plan to damage my safe. PD

S.A. Boggs
11-13-2017, 04:07
After reading all the comments I have decided against purchasing an electronic safe for the Lair, looking at other options...open to any suggestions to secure my long "friends". Thought of buying an 18 weapon Stack On gun cabinet and enclosing it with a hidden type door.
Sam

jmm03
11-13-2017, 04:30
Pete, this was the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJQ2wcYjBo

bonnie
11-14-2017, 04:50
What others have said. A commercial safe company locksmith told me many years ago electric keypads were good for business. He had just retuned from a supermarket that couldn't get it's electric safe lock to work and could not open for business for several hours until he was finally called.

jmm03
12-10-2017, 10:39
Pete, how did you finally make out with your safe issue? (p.s., any pictures of recent stonework?) Jim

free1954
12-12-2017, 05:00
Pete, how did you finally make out with your safe issue? (p.s., any pictures of recent stonework?) Jim

I was wondering about that myself.

Pete Davis
12-12-2017, 08:39
Doing it now! Will copy. PD

JB White
12-12-2017, 08:49
Pete, only two may have asked but rest assured they weren't the only ones wondering how you handled it. ;)

Pete Davis
12-12-2017, 05:17
OK

Locksmith came. We had to drill twice and got in.
Replaced the keypad with a dial lock. I'm trained on it now. It has a key if i want to lock the dial.

Overall it cost me some money. About what an '03 cost in 1995.

PD

smith

drilled lock

finished and closed

I feel better now!

PD

Merc
12-13-2017, 03:53
Pete - Glad you hired a locksmith. Fixing your safe or buying another one. It was going to cost you either way. I never could see how a digital lock was an improvement over the old reliable dial lock that's been around for so long.

JB White
12-13-2017, 08:52
Ohhh....don't rub it in Merc. I think Pete learned the hard way. Sooner or later we get that instinctive suspicion that the latest improvement isn't always "better". At least it worked out for you Pete. Good!
I have friends who simply cannot fathom how I can get through life without the latest cell phone and a car that starts without a chip. I tell them I'm happy to have a flush toilet....which doesn't need batteries. :)

free1954
12-14-2017, 04:47
glad you got it fixed. let this be a lesson for us all.

Merc
12-17-2017, 05:35
Ohhh....don't rub it in Merc. I think Pete learned the hard way. Sooner or later we get that instinctive suspicion that the latest improvement isn't always "better". At least it worked out for you Pete. Good!
I have friends who simply cannot fathom how I can get through life without the latest cell phone and a car that starts without a chip. I tell them I'm happy to have a flush toilet....which doesn't need batteries. :)

JB - I hope I didn't rub it in. Pete did exactly what I would have done. I've learned the hard way too many times.