PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 42mb 22 Value

Marty T.
12-15-2017, 06:02
Posted this on the small bore forum and got no response, will try here. I have found a Mossberg 42mb 22 cal. US Property marked (supposedly) trainer rifle and I am wondering if anyone knows what the value of one is to compare to the asking price. Thanks.

dave
12-15-2017, 07:17
I am a long time Moss. collector but still only have opinions. It would depend on condition, originality, just like any other collectable rifle. The correct Model number is 42MB (it does make a difference as there is a model is 42mb also). While it is a 'trainer' it was never used by the US. They were purchased by the US for Lend Lease sale to England. Look for Brit proof marks on yours, some never left the US (cancelled contracts) and will not have them. I have not seen any for sale for awhile but 2-300 would seem about right in average condition and original. When the Brits were thru with them they sold them to the Brit public, and they were used by them for years, things broke, wore out, non-original parts used to fix them, or better parts, such as sights. When they were sold they were proofed, sometime in the 50's I think, (Brit military is not subject to Brit proof laws). When gun laws were passed, out lawing most guns, those in civilian hands and left in military storage were sold to exporters and many ended up here.
They should have US Property Marks and serial's on both the barrel and receiver. Stocks can be walnut (early & scarce) or some other lite color hardwood (most common). Some people will pay more if Parker Hale peep sights were installed, an upgrade by owner or replacement for broken original. Some were threaded for silencers, as indoor ranges were frequently used.
Pictures (or at least description of condition) and price being asked would certainly help with a value. Your post gives no clues. In my opinion an excellent condition, original one would go for more. Moss. values have been going up for some years, especially the excellent rare examples, which is all I will buy!

Marty T.
12-15-2017, 08:52
This one is listed as 42mb. All I have right now is photos myself. Haven't seen it in person and was needing to know what they go for to even see if worth pursuing. What I can see is no peep sight, can't make out any Brit marks, SN is in the 425xx range, didn't see it on the barrel, stock is in good shape but looks light with good grain, so not sure on that. Finish is good on the whole rifle from what I can tell. Asking $275 for it down from $300, going to offer $225. Thanks.

dave
12-16-2017, 09:42
The rifle is from the last contract, 3-1-43, which ran from 43,001 to 46,000. It may have a barrel mark of 42MB (a), the (a) indicates a extractor change. I mis-spoke before, there were no cancelled contracts on these (it was the 44US) so 'no Brit. proofs' can be explained, except it most likely was never in England. Very unlikely it missed proof in England!
The sight will cost around 75 to 100 bucks, if you can find one (#4 peep) but they are around. Are swivels and bases in place? front sight hood? These will all cost you money if you want it to be original. They will cost 100 (maybe more) to replace. These parts were removed by many sellers because of their hi value if sold separately.
Ask to see the barrel model number (if 42M (b) it is not military. US prop. stamps should read, in large letters, UNITED STATES, PROPERTY, SERIAL NO.43672 in three lines. That number is mine, not far from the one you are looking at. It should be on receiver and barrel ahead of Moss. model numbers.
Condition is still most important, the ones that stayed in the US are generally better. The hard wood stock sounds correct for this late date. If I had to replace all parts I mentioned or even just the peep I would not pay over 200, if otherwise in very good condition. However you are the one who must decide.
Glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Marty T.
12-16-2017, 05:26
Sent some pics. Does have the stamping on barrel and rec. like your post, but I did not see the 42mb mark. Stock looks real nice but I also did not get the pic of the front sight so don't know if the hood is there. I know this is kind of vague and I don't like dealing this way either, but he says he'll take $225 for it, so if I can get my "money handler" to go along I may just bite the bullet and go. What do you think? Thanks a lot for the help.

dave
12-16-2017, 06:02
With property marks, serial (like I said) it must be genuine, so barrel will be marked 42MB, maybe with (a) after. Will the guy not tell you what else may be missing?? Like hood, swivels? Just remember with the peep alone missing, if you replace it you will be up to around 300. Not a bad deal but could cost more if other parts are missing. Myself, if he refuses to answer questions or provide detail, I would be wary. Just my opinion. So called 'training rifles' I do not specifically collect and will not pay a premium for them over a civilian model. But that's just me. If the rifle is really nice you will not loose money on it, prices are going up on good examples' but not on junk.

Marty T.
12-16-2017, 07:46
Just got a pic and front sight hood is there. He is very accommodating so I don't believe he is trying to hide anything. Seems like the peep sight is all that is missing. Thanks again for all your help. Will let you know if the deal goes through.

dave
12-17-2017, 07:06
Post pics., if you can!

Marty T.
12-18-2017, 07:41
Have the rifle. Is 42MB(a) marked. Peep sight is missing and swivels are missing but it has the swivel mounts. Nice little rifle. Sending you a PM. Thanks.

Marty T.
12-31-2017, 02:27
Dave, I sent the pics to your email for eval. Let me know if I did alright and what you think of it.