PDA

View Full Version : What would you do...

RED
12-18-2017, 05:17
If you were 70+ years old and owned a NIB collection of every single Colt snake gun ever made, 90% NIB, unfired and unturned. The other10% are 99%. Including 2 consecutive numbered Boas and a NIB Viper.

You aren't rich but money is not an issue. You have nobody to leave the collection to when you are gone. So what can you with the collection. It is unique enough that it should remain together as a rare and valuable piece of gun history.

I am serious here. Give them to me is not a serious answer... serious suggestions please,

PaFrank
12-18-2017, 05:31
NRA firearms museum in Fairfax Virginia

Sako
12-18-2017, 05:55
NRA firearms museum in Fairfax Virginia

That's hilarious! Man the only thing Red hates more than Togor is the NRA.

barretcreek
12-18-2017, 06:08
James Julia. I sent a rifle to Rock Island Auction and was not impressed with the way they evaluated it and refusal to let me back out.

leftyo
12-18-2017, 06:20
if money isnt an issue, id go shoot them. they were made to be shot, not collect dust.

dryheat
12-18-2017, 07:30
Some are meant to collect dust. I never thought I'd own safe queens but I do now. Ya hate to see another rich SOB get another great collection, but those are the folks who can afford it. I'd scrutinize the potential buyers for their sincerity. I hate to see nice stuff parted out.

Marty T.
12-18-2017, 07:34
There are people that I have seen listed in some of the gun magazines that deal is selling collections. That might be a option to look into also.

m1ashooter
12-18-2017, 09:14
Sell them. Try Collectors Firearms in Houston. I do think an auction would get you the most cash though.

RED
12-19-2017, 12:50
Sell them... no. As I said the guy is well off and would just have to figure out who or what to give the money to. He is leaning toward giving the collection to a museum. He asked me and I told him the who or what I thought and I recommended the Saunders Museum in Berryville AR.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/saunders-museum-best-kept-ozark-secret/

https://www.arkansas.com/attractions/detail/saunders-memorial-museum/18708

bruce
12-19-2017, 04:51
Re: 70 yr. old... NIB Colt snake guns. Operative factor ... significant collection that needs to remain intact. Given there are no friends/family available, I would contact significant museums to see on what basis a donation could be made. The Cody Firearms Museum would likely be a good choice. I would contact other collectors in the field and ask for their input. Given the value of such a collection, I would then use that donation to the benefit of the estate that would be left with the proceeds of that estate designated to support the education of young men/women focused on Constitutional law. Sincerely. bruce.

ray55classic
12-19-2017, 05:59
Re: 70 yr. old... NIB Colt snake guns. Operative factor ... significant collection that needs to remain intact. Given there are no friends/family available, I would contact significant museums to see on what basis a donation could be made. The Cody Firearms Museum would likely be a good choice. I would contact other collectors in the field and ask for their input. Given the value of such a collection, I would then use that donation to the benefit of the estate that would be left with the proceeds of that estate designated to support the education of young men/women focused on Constitutional law. Sincerely. bruce.
Best answer so far

Mark in Ottawa
12-19-2017, 08:19
I would suggest that you consider donating them to a museum. My understanding is that museums really don't like accepting donations with conditions attached but you might want to set a condition that the firearms be treated as a single collection (i.e. not to be sold in whole or in part) and that a small sign be posted indicating that the collection was donated by you.

Sunray
12-19-2017, 09:48
Best do some research first. An unfired Colt revolver may or may not have any collector interest. There's a nickeled Viper on Gunbroker right now that has no bids. Guy's asking $3600 for a revolver that didn't sell well enough for Colt to keep it in their inventory. Mind you, another sold for 3 grand at an auction. Site doesn't say when, but it was last year some time. They were advertising another auction for November 2016.
The first thing any museum would do is disable 'em too. However, the Cody Museum would tell you if they want 'em. Might be an idea to auction 'em(your executor should be able to deal with that.) and donate the money to a charity of your choice.