PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Huns

barretcreek
01-01-2018, 06:59
As 'Tag would say.

Wm. Manchester wrote about Albert Speer storming over to a tank factory in March of '45 to find out why production was at a stop. He found a yard full of completed tanks just sitting there. He asked why and the manager explained the paint jobs didn't meet spec but as soon as received another batch of paint they'd be on their way. Speer explained the tanks had a life expectancy measured in days, maybe even hours and get them under way NOW.

I mention this because I just spent an hour and a half on my mother's UberMensch clothes dryer. 26 Torx to remove the rear panel and then search around to find the thermal overload reset. Which isn't even mentioned in the manual; I had to get online and inquire about 'why no heat'. The reset is hidden where it can only be reached after taking the thing apart; a simple two screw cover wouldn't do.

My coin operated Maytag washer and dryer were $20 each when the college replaced them in '90 and still run.

dryheat
01-01-2018, 10:15
Utube is your friend. Some genius should be cutting all of these tutorials and when the grid goes down he'll be the king of the world.
I should go into the car window motor replacement business; they get $350 for something I can do in 30 minutes(with a Utube vid).

Sunray
01-04-2018, 11:58
Der UberMensch don't want you fiddling with the innards of das Wäschetrockner. Same reason lap top computers have a horde of screws just to open the case. And every one of 'em opens differently. And then you can't buy parts for some brands.
Kind of like to have a few quiet words with the idiot that invented the torx screw too.

JB White
01-04-2018, 11:02
Kind of like to have a few quiet words with the idiot that invented the torx screw too.

The Torx head is an improvement until you run into the in-between sizes (like T27 and its brethren) There are currently/probably 40 to 50 other types of proprietary screw heads out there. I can't even ID them all, let alone buy another roller cabinet to house all the friggin' sets of specialty tools. Thank goodness for drill bits and extractors!