PDA

View Full Version : Name and pictures

aintright
01-03-2018, 06:52
Several years ago I went to Knob Creek show , it was the year before the 20mm was declared a destructive device .
There was a fellow that had the 20mm for sale in a rifle configuration and a cannon . He was trying to talk me into buying one as he was telling me that in the following year They would be declared a destructive device and the price would drastically increase IIRC , but while he was talking , I was considering cost of shooting this bad boy .
Anyway , was telling my nephew about it this evening and tried to look up the cannon on the Internet . Have had no luck finding it and have seen them in front of some VFW's . Can anyone provide a link or pictures as to this . It wasn't very big as far as cannons go , but was a neat toy . Also was on wheels . Thanks , Kenneth

dryheat
01-03-2018, 10:34
The Lahti. L-39. Finnish. Often set up in snow so it had skis. Used to see them at the SARS show in Phx. Not anymore.

JB White
01-04-2018, 12:23
The Lahti. A shop in my area of play used to display one in their front window. For some reason I always kept thinking it was Czech. Very distinctive with its top loading mag similar looking to the Bren.

dryheat
01-04-2018, 09:10
This? 42733

Allen
01-04-2018, 10:37
I thought I wanted a 20mm once. There was a rifle on GB made by Vulcan that was appealing but at the time the ammo was running $100 per round and not easy to find. Also the rifle requires a class 3 license to own so I bought a tiny little Bushmaster BM50 50cal.

You mentioned cannon and wheels. This is a Madsen. Is this it?

JB White
01-04-2018, 10:40
Yup...and the BREN LMG

http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/machine/mg10/bren_mk2.jpg

aintright
01-04-2018, 11:37
Thanks for all the replies , if I can figure out what VFW I saw them at I'll try to get some pictures . The cannons , that is . The rifles were single shot , when I divorced I told my wife to take what she wanted , but didn't think she would take my personal stuff , she didn't bother much in the buildings , but the house was left bare , including my pictures .
Kenneth

Allen
01-04-2018, 11:45
Thanks for all the replies , if I can figure out what VFW I saw them at I'll try to get some pictures . The cannons , that is . The rifles were single shot , when I divorced I told my wife to take what she wanted , but didn't think she would take my personal stuff , she didn't bother much in the buildings , but the house was left bare , including my pictures .
Kenneth

I feel for you. I can't even picture what a divorce is like. I married my high school sweetheart classmate in 1974. We have been best friends ever since.

Sunray
01-04-2018, 11:51
"...declared a destructive device..." Means the market is drastically reduced and prices drop not increase.
"...seen them in front of some VFW's..." Usually Oerlikons on anti-aircraft mounts. Sometimes a single gun mount. Sometimes a pair. Used by both sides during W.W. II.
Good pictures are about half way down.
This is the manual.
https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/gun20mm/index.htm

aintright
01-04-2018, 12:44
Sunray , my knowledge of destructive devices is small legal wise and cost wise . But one thing I have seen is that the more restrictions put on an object the prices soar . Economics may be correct in some instances but I don't think so in the case .
The rifle was not a mass produced item , it was something these guys were building . The cannon , as far as I know was of course a military item and it was a single shot breech fed devise . Thanks for the input , will see if I can find the VFW and get some pictures .
Allen , it is an era of life I have put behind me and just to avoid a continued contact , I let it go .
Kenneth

barretcreek
01-04-2018, 12:58
I was in H.S. when those 20mm. were for sale for, how much? Peanuts as I recall. I was saving up for one but there was no room to store it. Didn't buy a Thompson in '87 either.