PDA

View Full Version : New Airline Rules for Service Pets

tmark
01-19-2018, 08:25
I saw on the news about some airlines having new rules for service animals starting in March. Because of some dogs excessively barking, urinating, and biting, as well as unqualified people claiming their dogs are service dogs, some sort of written proof or verification (a doctor's note, e.g.) will be needed to show the airlines.

Anyone else catch this on tv?

leftyo
01-19-2018, 08:54
all i saw was its 1 airline, and i did not catch who or any more info.

dryheat
01-19-2018, 09:25
It's about time. This isn't India, you can't take your sheep on board. Your Bichond might look like a baby, but it's not.

Major Tom
01-19-2018, 11:51
It's about time. This isn't India, you can't take your sheep on board. Your Bichond might look like a baby, but it's not.

Yes, indeed! And, women's perfume level should be monitored also.

S.A. Boggs
01-20-2018, 12:44
I have an ESA Emotional Service Animal "Wolf" which I have trained myself. I have had her since she was two months old, trained to respond to voice, hand, electronic commands up to 500 yards away. In my darkest periods and most in need of emotional support during two bouts of chemo and max radiation treatments she was there to help me. To be quite honest to this day I need her. She is my constant companion, my compadre and goes everywhere with me with no problem. To be quite honest she is better mannered then many children. Unlike most service animals she does not wear a vest but a tag on her collar. I see no need to advertise what she is or what I need. At our local McDonalds restaurants Wolf is always warmly greeted by the manager/staff and knows that she gets bacon for her breakfast. Occasionally I still have to educate people that she is not a pet but a working dog and a part of my human family with the same rights as I have. Once I get my point across "we" are left alone! Service dogs are a needed part of some peoples lives that we depend upon.
Sam

Clark Howard
01-20-2018, 06:15
It was Delta that announced the new rules. Some limits are long overdue since the "support animal" rule was formulated. Many folks are simply claiming support status to avoid checking their animal in a cage. You would be amazed to see the looneys drag their favorite quadruped aboard a plane full of passengers. Regards, Clark

Allen
01-20-2018, 07:09
Here's the article about Delta. As always some people abuse the system and want to take their pets with them rather than board them in a kennel and some are taking snakes, lizards and such.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/business/delta-airlines-service-animals.html

Sunray
01-20-2018, 10:09
"...some dogs excessively barking, urinating, and biting..." Very likely one of the 'fake service dogs'.
"...educate people that..." Yep. It's really hard to leave 'em alone when they're working. Have a neighbour(she's a Rasta too) with one that's more neurotic than she is. Nice little dog, but afraid of everything.

clintonhater
01-20-2018, 11:00

Worse than a screaming brat? That rides free?