PDA

View Full Version : Been a rough year for old friends

p246
01-20-2018, 09:20
Two gentlemen many years ago took a dumb kid under their wings and helped him learn about military surplus guns and gear. They guided me, kept me from buying fake crap and above all else were great friends. Joe passed away 3 months ago. Chuck had a massive stroke last night. He was moved to hospice care while I was visiting him tonight. It is just a matter of time. It ‘‘tis the cycle of life but it really sucks when the hits come back to back. So here is to old friends may they find peace and finally get a little rest.

SloopJohnB
01-21-2018, 12:06
Treasure the interest and knowledge those gentlemen imparted to you. You were fortunate to know them.

S.A. Boggs
01-21-2018, 01:34
A person is only dead when they are forgotten.
Sam

bruce
01-21-2018, 03:46
Just now found your post. Profound regrets at the loss you experienced and the impending loss you anticipate. If at all possible, spend time with your friend. God will bless the comfort and compassion you share with him. Sincerely. bruce.

free1954
01-21-2018, 04:48
A person is only dead when they are forgotten.
Sam

so true sir. each year we lose more and more of those guys until we end up as being the old farts. I wish I had paid more attention to the things they said.

JB White
01-21-2018, 05:35
Lost seven people I know in the past two weeks. Three of them in a single day. A lodge brother, an aunt, and a fellow Legionnaire. I had been serving as District Chaplain pro tem. My first major duty (aside from prayers at meetings and sending a few cards to the sick) was presiding over the funeral of our Chaplain who didn't recover from surgery.
Attended a wake for a young friend of only 53 yesterday before going to a lodge function. When it rains it pours.

p246
01-21-2018, 05:57
Yes it does. I feel fortunate the night before Chuck had his stroke I stopped by to say Hi. He was not feeling well and was in bed. Grabbed a kitchen chair and went to him. He, his son in law, and I talked for about an hour. Many do not get that last good talk, this time I did.

m1ashooter
01-21-2018, 07:04
It sucks. We lost my father in law before Christmas and then the family pet.

Sako
01-22-2018, 09:50
Two gentlemen many years ago took a dumb kid under their wings and helped him learn about military surplus guns and gear. They guided me, kept me from buying fake crap and above all else were great friends. Joe passed away 3 months ago. Chuck had a massive stroke last night. He was moved to hospice care while I was visiting him tonight. It is just a matter of time. It ‘‘tis the cycle of life but it really sucks when the hits come back to back. So here is to old friends may they find peace and finally get a little rest.

I feel your pain and I always remind myself just how lucky I am to have had friends that mean so much to me that loosing them leaves a big hole in my life.

p246
01-22-2018, 05:04
I spent the last two evenings hanging out with Chuck and his family. Shortly after I got there tonight he passed. Although tough it was for the best as we were told he would never recover due to the extent of the stroke. I have many fond memories and that can never be taken. Thanks for the comments they are appreciated.

Griff Murphey
01-24-2018, 08:52
I often think of the many old time high power shooters I fired with back in the mid-late 60's, how patient so many guys were, how they helped me learn the hobby, and I guess nearly all have passed. We were fortunate to have these guys to guide us in learning our hobby. Particularly I owe a lot to the WW-2 infantryman who I took my NRA junior course from about in 1960; who I later fired high power with, and who finally helped train two of my daughters in smallbore rifle in the 1990's. The list could go on to include the local Fort Worth and Arlington shooters as well as the Army, USAF, and Marine shooters who helped me back on Camp Bullis in San Antonio. And my ROTC coaches, etc. ad infinitum. What a great brotherhood are we men at arms.

holdover
01-26-2018, 07:03
It has also been a tough year in my neck of the woods.. But "If we never forget they will always be with us" Remember to stay in touch with their families, they need us now more than ever..

M1Tommy
01-26-2018, 08:17
I'm sorry for your loss, really. You honor them, with your memories.

Right about 2 years ago now 2, uncles, one who was close to me, a close biker-preacher friend and my dad all passed over within a few day's span. I still feel that cold season, but have thawed some.

My regards, very sincerely,................
Tommy