PDA

View Full Version : Rosie the Riveter...............

Dan Shapiro
01-22-2018, 07:04
Dies at 96.................:icon_salut:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/obituaries/naomi-parker-fraley-the-real-rosie-the-riveter-dies-at-96.html

Oddly enough, the picture doesn't mean she's showing her "muscle"..........it's more likely the old "up yours!" gesture to the Axis powers.

Sunray
01-23-2018, 09:21
Times have changed. She protected her hair but not her eyes leaning over that mill. Even though that's a staged picture.

PaFrank
01-24-2018, 03:59
My Mom was a "Rosie"... she worked in a Frankford Arsenal sub-contractor Arsenal in Bristol PA called "Hunter's".. As she told it, her job was to fill a powder hopper, and from behind a very thick steel wall with a thick glass window, start and watch the machine that made the ammo.. She was 17

I have asked her many times what kind of ammo she was making, and showed her everything from a 45 to a 20mm and she just has no clue... At 17, It was just a good job to her. Who ever thought how historic it would become....

And she is still kickin at 92... frail, but still kickin

free1954
01-26-2018, 04:23
My Mom was a "Rosie"... she worked in a Frankford Arsenal sub-contractor Arsenal in Bristol PA called "Hunter's".. As she told it, her job was to fill a powder hopper, and from behind a very thick steel wall with a thick glass window, start and watch the machine that made the ammo.. She was 17

I have asked her many times what kind of ammo she was making, and showed her everything from a 45 to a 20mm and she just has no clue... At 17, It was just a good job to her. Who ever thought how historic it would become....

And she is still kickin at 92... frail, but still kickin

my mother worked at picatinny arsenal packing cannon shells. she said she would twist the heads to make sure they were tight and then pack 4 to a wooden box with an insert that went over the ends of the projectiles. later on she packed links for tank threads some where else. my aunt was a true riveter. working on b17s. both celebrated their 97th birthdays last year.

Former Cav
01-31-2018, 06:14
ENJOY those moms. TAKE EM OUT to a nice LUNCH (dinner is too late).
I MISS my mom, she died back in 1980 when I was 34 years old ! Dad died the year before. Miss em both STILL.
GOOD folks.