PDA

View Full Version : S&W Forum

Major Tom
01-24-2018, 06:44
I occasionally visit the S&W Forum as I own a couple of their revolvers. But, and a big but, the site's rules for posting suppress the 2nd Amendment to extremes. And you get warnings about any and all infractions of their rules. So, goodbye to them!

clintonhater
01-24-2018, 09:31
I occasionally visit the S&W Forum as I own a couple of their revolvers. But, and a big but, the site's rules for posting suppress the 2nd Amendment to extremes. And you get warnings about any and all infractions of their rules. So, goodbye to them!

Doubt it could be more high-handed & unreasonable than RimFireCentral.com; or rather, the crazy bitch who runs it. I was put on the "YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!" list before I'd made half a dozen posts. "Damn" is a prohibited word!

PaFrank
01-25-2018, 02:52
There are a lot of sites like that.... they have "Net Nannies" that decide what is and what is not appropriate for their board, and delete posts, or move post, or close threads...etc.. Shooters Forum is one that comes to mind... I may visit and read some posts, but I refuse to contribute.

Like you said..... screw them!

bruce
01-25-2018, 03:53
Their house. Their rules. I very much enjoy the S&W Forum as well as S&W Forums.com. They are not the same in the way that CMP and CSP are not the same. As to language, moderators, etc., again it's their house not mine. So they make the rules, not me or other members of the forum. Some are more circumspect than others in what is permitted. Some will not allow profanity. In my opinion, that is no loss at all. Some will not permit political discussions. Again, in my opinion, that is no loss. It is not very much different that many restaurants where by signage patrons are reminded that anyone and everyone is welcomed, where everyone is reminded that loud boisterous conversation will not be permitted and that no one will be permitted to act or speak, etc., in a way that is offensive to either other customers or the staff. That is fine. If someone wants to go to a dive bar, it's their choice. But if they want to go to a dive bar, that is where they need to go. They cannot expect that owners and patrons of other restaurants will accommodate them. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

JB White
01-25-2018, 07:28
Bruce, I must say that I have never seen such a long-winded sign in any eatery I have ever been to! LOL ;)

On topic: Yes, it's very true about it being their board and their rules. It doesn't mean those who would rather not be nannied (by some overbearing power freak in most cases) has to like it. So, just like those above they choose not to participate, and they have a right to inform like-minded individuals about any Draconian rules before they waste their time going there. Fortunately on this board we're allowed to say such things....within reason of course.

They have their tidy little corners of the internet where proper lady-like discussions take place with the orchestra playing softly in the background...and they like it. I prefer this NASCAR type of board where "if we ain't rubbin' then we aint racin'!" :)

clintonhater
01-25-2018, 07:56
...some overbearing power freak in most cases...

That's it exactly. Many people who are nobodies in their everyday lives, kowtowing to their bosses at work and maybe their spouses at home, derive enormous personal satisfaction in running roughshod over others if they somehow acquire a position of authority in some extraneous capacity, such as Lord High Potentate of a website.

ray55classic
01-25-2018, 08:06

While I agree with your premise , wouldn't that be the 1st Amendment?

GB in WY
01-25-2018, 10:30
While this forum is a fairly civil place now. Those of us who have been a member for a few years will remember a time when this place was "The Wild West" and that has happened more than once. People trash talking, people getting banned and worst of all, people with a ton of great knowledge just walking away. I recall a time when a noted authority(I will name no names but it did happen more than once) was called out by another forum member and told, in no uncertain terms that he was full of beans. It wasn't long before that knowledgeable person just didn't post here anymore. We lost a great source.

I belong to a few other forums(including the S&W forums alluded to above) They have their rules and rules aren't always bad. Some of the old timers here will remember when "Mama Bear" Gloria was in her prime and decided she had had enough of the foolishness, the Hammer of Thor was dropped on more than one miscreant and it wasn't pretty! Some of those folks are regulars still today and I am sure they remember. I don't post, or even read on this forum as often as I once did(Garands aren't as big a part of my like as they once were - I am down to 23 of them) But nowdays it is a nice place to visit. I also regularly read several forums that I have never joined - I just lurk - because I don't care for the way things are done. Like several have already said "Their house, their rules!"

Tigre_fish
01-25-2018, 07:35
Ha ha - remember when the old gun & knife forum was shut down and a number of regulars from there came over to CSP? I think it was in late 1999 or early 2000 - had a few brawls that needed refereeing by Gloria & the Major!

While this forum is a fairly civil place now. Those of us who have been a member for a few years will remember a time when this place was "The Wild West" and that has happened more than once. People trash talking, people getting banned and worst of all, people with a ton of great knowledge just walking away. I recall a time when a noted authority(I will name no names but it did happen more than once) was called out by another forum member and told, in no uncertain terms that he was full of beans. It wasn't long before that knowledgeable person just didn't post here anymore. We lost a great source.

I belong to a few other forums(including the S&W forums alluded to above) They have their rules and rules aren't always bad. Some of the old timers here will remember when "Mama Bear" Gloria was in her prime and decided she had had enough of the foolishness, the Hammer of Thor was dropped on more than one miscreant and it wasn't pretty! Some of those folks are regulars still today and I am sure they remember. I don't post, or even read on this forum as often as I once did(Garands aren't as big a part of my like as they once were - I am down to 23 of them) But nowdays it is a nice place to visit. I also regularly read several forums that I have never joined - I just lurk - because I don't care for the way things are done. Like several have already said "Their house, their rules!"

blackhawknj
01-25-2018, 09:51
I am a member at Smith-Wessonforum.com, I have always found it genteel and civil. There is no Politics Forum there if that is what is meant by "suppressing" the 1st Amendment. Gunboards has the Grumpy Old Men and Minefield forums if you prefer a more freewheeling no holds barred atmosphere. With a definite conservative slant.

JB White
01-26-2018, 03:02
Ha ha - remember when the old gun & knife forum was shut down and a number of regulars from there came over to CSP? I think it was in late 1999 or early 2000 - had a few brawls that needed refereeing by Gloria & the Major!

I think it may have been just a little earlier than that? I'm unsure. You could be right. Mark Bitting shut down G&K at the flip of a switch because some of the boards turned horrible. That was when CSP opened up their first Lee Enfield board. I recall us refugees being referred to as a Mongol horde.
Shortly afterward Mark then reopened a domain under the heading of Britishguns.net as the British boards, being international in participation, were more tame and pretty much "self-policing". They may have been a little "Dodge City" but at least they were fun. The Martini-Henry board was probably the most gentlemanly board of all. Sadly Mark passed away shortly afterward. It ran on autopilot for a little while until his family sold his server which had been housed in rented space from his employer.

You are correct that the US based boards had more than their fair share of trolls and trouble makers. It didn't take much for the loudmouthed keyboard commandos to get going. Sometimes all it took was a simple question and the guys living in mommy's basement would fly off the handle with insults.

free1954
01-26-2018, 04:12
but there were great threads on the old csp boards, they would go on for weeks. the one about the battle of the bighorn on the trapdoor forum in particular.

Bill D
01-27-2018, 03:25
Look at them now. There are multiple boards here that have not been posted on in weeks. The only two boards that are regularly active are the Gun Talk and the Political forum. Both have been largely taken over by left wing loudmouths who probably have very little experience with firearms. Just about all of the “old timers” which were here when the major was actively policing the boards are now gone. Some have died but most have seen this forum as either dying or dead.

Sadly, because of the antics of about four posters, this forum has degenerated into a series of nasty pissing contests and I seriously doubt that it will last much longer

‘Course I could be wrong.

PWC
01-27-2018, 04:35
Bill and Bruce, I believe you are correct. For a long time now I've seen and posted that this site is not the same as why it was set up. I believe the old timers have left for other boards because it is easier to fing others that want to be on topic rather than wade thru 3 or 4 trolls. They have changed their names but the 'flavor' of their posts still sound the same. This is not the first forum I go to anymore as I did since 1982.

I regularly check 3 other forums before coming here, because when I look at unviewed posts, 98% are on the 2nd Ammendment forum with just a smattering on anything else and that isn't necessarily shooting related or related to what the forum is titled to be.

There just doesn't seem to be enough interest from those using this forum to advance the shooting sports, or helping novice shooters of all kinds of firearms and reloading. I believe if they come hear and see a forum that hasn't been active in 90 days, except for the political forums, it may be a dying website, and they move on.

Hillary and Obama were the most successful gun sales people in history. We now have more people in the shooting sports; hopefully they are seeking competent help to answer questions and get started. On other forums I see newbies seeking help and youth shooting being discussed and flourishing; not here.

I will still check in here and check new posts, but I suspect nothing will change.

Allen
01-27-2018, 04:41
Sadly, because of the antics of about four posters, this forum has degenerated into a series of nasty pissing contests and I seriously doubt that it will last much longer

‘Course I could be wrong.

And that is their whole purpose in being here. Ignore them and the problem will go away. Keep the childish, senseless arguments alive and it will indeed run off more posters here till the forum is dead.

PWC
01-27-2018, 05:53
Sadly, per your observation, they are succeding. Ignoring them would be optimal, but opinions are like A--holes, everybody has one; and it appears they can't wait to reply here. Thank heavens for the block function.

clintonhater
01-27-2018, 06:27
On other forums I see newbies seeking help and youth shooting being discussed and flourishing; not here.

You know "youths" interested in the kinds of historical arms of most interest here? Remarkable! (They must be pretty well heeled.)

PWC
01-28-2018, 11:18
Some maybe, but most are in organized shooting clubs and state affiliated clubs that make them elegible for NRA and CMP support, grants and firearms. Affiliated clubs have Hi-power CMP rifles and the Mossberg rifles that came thru CMP; M44, M144...... Missing what the different clubs are doing, coaching tips and techniques, etc. If we don't grow the kids we are one generation from joining the dinosaurs. Organized shooting with parent support and participation is better than going to the desert and shooting bottles, rocks, old cars road signs....

clintonhater
01-29-2018, 07:08
Some maybe, but most are in organized shooting clubs and state affiliated clubs that make them elegible for NRA and CMP support, grants and firearms. Affiliated clubs have Hi-power CMP rifles and the Mossberg rifles that came thru CMP; M44, M144...... Missing what the different clubs are doing, coaching tips and techniques, etc. If we don't grow the kids we are one generation from joining the dinosaurs. Organized shooting with parent support and participation is better than going to the desert and shooting bottles, rocks, old cars road signs....

Who'd argue against any of that? But as it pertains to this site, it's a straw-man argument, because no single forum or organization can promote every "good cause." Especially when there are already organizations, like NRA, promoting youth shooting. Now, should NRA be blamed because it doesn't offer programs to fight drug abuse? Because it doesn't, does it follow that NRA "doesn't care" about that problem?

PWC
01-29-2018, 11:09
Go back and read the original post 1/27/18 at 0535... excerpted below:
"There just doesn't seem to be enough interest from those using this forum to advance the shooting sports, or helping novice shooters of all kinds of firearms and reloading. I believe if they come hear and see a forum that hasn't been active in 90 days, except for the political forums, it may be a dying website, and they move on.

Hillary and Obama were the most successful gun sales people in history. We now have more people in the shooting sports; hopefully they are seeking competent help to answer questions and get started. On other forums I see newbies seeking help and youth shooting being discussed and flourishing; not here."

Your comment is off topic.

PWC
01-29-2018, 05:42
What I really meant to say was not "forum" but "web site". That should make it clearer.

blackhawknj
01-29-2018, 08:10
On one board I visit they have an "ignore" function-that is a great way to deal with trolls. I used it on one individual, he passed away shortly afterwards. (No, I did not put the whammy on him.)
Boards-not much different than real life. There is a nearby gun club I gave up on trying to join 40 years ago after a member was rude and obnoxious to me, and I read in American Rifleman a few years ago about a range manager who banished several old timers because their rudeness and lack of manners were alienating new and younger shooters.
Conservative boards are much slower to ban those who do not adhere to "The Party Line" than Liberal ones.

Former Cav
01-31-2018, 06:02
years ago, after reading about it here, I got onto a website to deliberately get kicked off. It only took ONE email saying something NOT PC about the Demos.!! Yeah, they really honor "freedom of speech" but only for THEM!