PDA

View Full Version : Indian Enfields

Carlsr
01-28-2018, 11:03
Would anyone here know where to find a copy of a book called India's Enfields?
The authors name is Robert W. Edwards.
The book is out of print but hopefully someone here may have an extra copy or know where to get one.
Thank You for any help.

Clark Howard
01-28-2018, 11:41
Try ABEbooks.com

Carlsr
01-28-2018, 05:10
Thanks Clark Howard but no luck.

JB White
01-28-2018, 08:46
I just checked all the usual suspects of used book sellers and found no joy. There were at least three editions that I am aware of. I have an autographed copy of the 1st and found it to be lacking certain key elements. That's why they release 2nd and 3rd editions etc. etc.. The bad part is when a page is cited for reference and it doesn't match up to others who have different copies.

Keep looking and keep on posting. Sooner or later one might turn up. Meanwhile, if you have a question about something in particular, feel free to ask. I'll see if my antiquated & obsolete copy has something which might be helpful.

Sunray
01-29-2018, 10:01
Appears to be out of print. Isn't even listed on Edwards' Amazon page. Not even a publisher listed. Edwards might have published it himself as it's spiral bound like a Lyman loading manual. Only one review from 2016 too.
There is the ISBN numbers though.
ISBN-10: 0970123701
ISBN-13: 978-0970123701
Doesn't run up on a net search either. Your best bet would be scouring used book stores and gun shows.

tmark
01-29-2018, 07:39
Try Alibris or ask your local library if they can get you a copy via intrastate library loan.

Carlsr
02-03-2018, 11:43
Thank You Sunray

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't think about the library. Thanks tmark

Carlsr
02-03-2018, 11:58
Just trying to find out if it is all original or if some parts have been replaced. A guy on face book posted some I**I.P. photos and a few pages printed from Edward's book but not all print was in the pictures. Mine is a type 3 according the information and only 20,000 of this type made. There should be a cartouche mark on the butt stock but mine does not have one. It also has a brass butt plate but I think it should not be??? Most parts such as barrel band, nose cap and so on should have a C stamped on them. Mine only has a C on the trigger guard. There is R.F.I stamped on the barrel band and can't make out the stamp on the nose cap. All serial#'s match and all wood has the same color. I know it has had a long life and some things may have been replaced. Also I was wondering what the value may be. I'll try to attach some pictures.429044290542906

p246
02-03-2018, 01:22
It’s hard to say with limited pictures and I have a few RFIs but not as many as I would like. I agree it’s appears to be a Type III. Since the markings are not legible on the nose cap that’s impossible to say. I believe the stock was probably replaced a long time ago, probably in service but who knows. JB or Sunray might be able to shed more light on it. Value, whatever someone would pay. If the bore is good and everything was tight, I would go $400.00. Those rifles are a little harder to find. Someone might pay much more, some would think I’m crazy. A lot of collectors scoff at the Indian Enfields for various reasons. Other than the worthless ugly Isshy screw on later rifles I like them. The Enfield market is a little soft still from where it was at. Very neat rifle regardless.

Carlsr
02-03-2018, 03:28
Thanks p246. I paid 400 a couple years ago at a gun show. The guy had a manufacture date of 1945 on it but had 1916 on the left socket. Looking it over I thought it would be worth a little more since it had the adjustable rear sight, mag cut off and volley sights. I had a gun smith go over the rifle and found that the muzzle is a little over what it should be but everything else locks up tight and shoots well at 100 yards. I also found a R.F.I. bayonet dated 1920. Don't see many and I know I overpaid but figured when would I see another. Here are a couple more photos.429144291542916

- - - Updated - - -

This is the bayonet429174291842919

p246
02-04-2018, 12:00
You find the right guy looking for that gun you will do alright. The Indian RFI Bayonets I have sold on GB bring 65 to 70 depending on year etc. Muzzle wear was pretty common with these rifles due to cleaning practices, sounds like yours was not hurt too bad. Some will say it will part out for more than a whole gun, I just can’t bring myself to break them up. For what it’s worth I like to buy wire wraps and the Indian Rifles can be found with far better bores than other countries. I’d keep that rifle if I was you the chances of finding another one in good shape is going to be hard. The few I**IPs I have found at gun shows have been ragged out and mismatched from years of Military service. Yours was rebuilt but still shoots and retains some excellent features. It is a nice find.

Carlsr
02-04-2018, 03:54
Thanks p246. The bayonets you sell on GB are they the short or long? From my research on the bayonets I found most were shortened and few remain original. I have only seen 2 others for sale, one before I bought mine and one after. I'd like to get a wire wrapped but so far have only seen ones that are beat up with high price tags. I'm more into Springfield Trapdoors but have a few Enfields also. About a year ago I found a Pakistan #4 Mk 2 1960 manufacture. Have not found much on those rifles either other than not many have been released in the private market. I seem to find and buy the odd ones:icon_lol: I most likely won't sell the Indian unless I got a good deal on an early TD.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems the bayonet pics did not post?429264292742928

bruce
02-04-2018, 04:30
Re: OP/Replies. Fascinating thread! Beyond bare bones information I have little knowledge of the LE series in general much less the more particular variants. Sincerely. bruce.

JB White
02-04-2018, 01:44
Carlsr, there isn't much more I can tell you that you don't already know. You even knew to seek out a now scarce 17" RFI bayonet and did very well in the process. About the only other thing is the little mystery revolving around the lack of some C markings on certain parts. Strange things have been known to happen involving things India. So, I wouldn't fret too much. Personally I wouldn't fret at all at this point. If it is one of the third published variations then it should also be wearing a MkIII barrel according to Edwards. Remember the bit about "strange things". Things may have been overlooked at time of production or changed in service. So long as the numbers match you're rifle is in good shape.

You have a scarce one and you aren't behind the eight ball in terms of money invested. Have you been over to the Lee Enfield forum on Gunboards.com? Most of us feel as though Ishy rifles have a place in the collection. There are some over there who actively pursue and research them on their own. They'd probably enjoy taking a long look at your rifle.

Carlsr
02-05-2018, 03:53
Thank you JB White
I found information on the bayonet on http://worldbayonets.com Then proceeded to search for one. To my surprise it didn't take long. First one I got out bide on but then another showed up and that one I was not about to lose. Have not seen another since.
I don't believe I was ever on the gunboards but will check them out.
Thank You