PDA

View Full Version : Had a GREAT time!

Dan Shapiro
01-30-2018, 02:37
Spent the last two days with the JrROTC unit at the local high school. Even though I live in the Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia, the local Superintendent and school principal were enthusiastic about my presentation. Covered the significant long-arms from 1776 up to the M14. Fantastic group of young adults.

Liam
01-30-2018, 03:16
Good of you, Sir, to have shared both your collection and your expertise with those folks. You're a one-stop shop!

Ken The Kanuck
01-30-2018, 03:17
Good on you for doing that.

KTK

RED
01-30-2018, 03:49
Thank you...

I once volunteered to help a VFW post with their M-1 Garands they had used for funeral salutes for 20+ years. I drove 100 miles each way and spent most of a day cleaning, and evaluating their M-1's for the CMP. Those rifles were in very bad shape. They were all equipped with BFD's and welded gas systems. Two of the rifles would go full auto with crimped blanks. Others had issues too numerous to mention. Based on my evaluation the army replaced all their rifles and destroyed the returns. There was one stock with clear markings that was a collectors dream. It went back and was destroyed by the army.

My reward was I got to meet Bueford Cooper... a B-26 pilot that flew out of Africa and was in some of the most dangerous missions over eastern Europe including Ploiesti. I still get emails from Bueford who is in his 90's. Great rewards come from helping others.

Your JROTC guys will remember and honor you for what you did.

Good on you.... again!

Former Cav
01-31-2018, 05:59
yep, I was in on a "clean up detail" at the local American Legion years ago. We got about 8 hunters together to clean up their M1 Garrands with the welded gas plugs etc. Got em all working except for ONE.
Of course we found that out at a funeral.
I was facing the firing squad during their volley.
Kind of humerous. One of the guys on the firing squad was NOT a shooter!!
He'd fire (his blank) and my Green Beret Buddy would grab the rifle out of his hand, and KICK the operating rod to cycle the rifle and quick hand it back to the man firing it.
Quite a sight.
I can't believe our gov't is that paranoid where they have to weld up a Garrand like that but what can I say. this was in the DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Minnesota!
Good Job Red, I'm surprised they allowed a firearm on the premises!