PDA

View Full Version : Women's hockey gold - This Will Be Great

Ken The Kanuck
02-19-2018, 12:41
Who needs the Russians when you have competition like this.

I realize many here do not follow hockey let alone women's hockey, but the competition between these two teams is legendary.

Good luck to both.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/43110280

KTK

togor
02-19-2018, 02:09
Gotta go with the American women, KTK. I agree it's good for the Gold to stay in North America, but I'll pull for the Yanks. Nice regulation win too, none of this shootout business.

Ken The Kanuck
02-19-2018, 02:22
Gotta go with the American women, KTK. I agree it's good for the Gold to stay in North America, but I'll pull for the Yanks. Nice regulation win too, none of this shootout business.

I figure it's a toss up, will be cheering for the Canucks of course but wouldn't put any money on it.

KTK

togor
02-19-2018, 04:16
They've had some classic battles, no doubt. Probably another nail-biter. Women really play it for a love of the game, too. The money obviously isn't there like the men's game.

Liam
02-20-2018, 07:42
If only I can avoid the announcement of winner before I actually get a chance to view the game.

Vern Humphrey
02-20-2018, 12:05
I try to avoid hockey, and if I accidentally step in it, I scrape it off as soon as I can. :-)

Ken The Kanuck
02-21-2018, 08:46
1st goal by the Americans, Canadians playing badly giving up 3 dumb penalties in the 1st. Hope we can answer.

KTK

Ken The Kanuck
02-21-2018, 09:35
Better 2nd, tight game.

KTK

Ken The Kanuck
02-21-2018, 10:24
OT

KTK

Ken The Kanuck
02-21-2018, 11:16
Congrats USA

KTK

S.A. Boggs
02-21-2018, 11:36
Congrats USA

KTK

Look @it this way Ken, regardless if we win or you win it is kept in the "family", after all we are cousins aren't we? If the U.S. wins Canada wins and vice-versa is the way I see it.
Sam

togor
02-22-2018, 04:17
US Women doing the heavy lifting at these games. Same as Rio.

Ken The Kanuck
02-22-2018, 07:54
Look @it this way Ken, regardless if we win or you win it is kept in the "family", after all we are cousins aren't we? If the U.S. wins Canada wins and vice-versa is the way I see it.
Sam

I agree Sam, it seems to me that these women play for their country, then play for their team and then play for themselves.

To me the best of all the games.

The USA did look to me like they were the best team and they deserved the win.

KTK

JB White
02-22-2018, 09:24
At least Women's Team USA is playing better than the Chicago Blackhawks this year.

Jeff L
02-22-2018, 12:17
That was a great game. I'm not sure why Canada's Jocelyne Larocque took off her silver medal immediately after receiving it. I guess she was expecting gold.

Johnny P
02-22-2018, 03:46
Really made a statement removing the silver. If it wasn't gold she wanted nothing to do with it.

blackhawknj
02-22-2018, 04:21
"Sports do not build character, they reveal it." Heywood Broun.

butlersrangers
02-22-2018, 05:25
A lot of U.S. Citizens have ancestors, who came to the U.S.A. from Canada. We still have kin, who live north of us... or if you live near 'Hockeytown', (a.k.a. - Detroit), maybe south of us!

I have often avoided calling myself an "American", not from lack of pride in my country, but, because I feel the name rightfully should apply to everyone born in North and South America.

I can not imagine someone not loving Hockey. Hey, it's right up there with Curling!

The rivalry between Canadian and U.S. Teams is great because most of us like and respect each other. There may be jealousies and occasional resentment, but, it is very much like 'Sibling Rivalry'.

It is interesting that a lot of the women players, who represented Canada and the U.S.A. last night, know each other well, and may be teammates back in North America. Twenty-one of the Canadian Women Hockey Players attend colleges in the U.S.A.

It was great to watch the dedication, skill, and intensity.

(p.s. - Jocelyne Larocque removing her Silver Medal was shabby. I am glad her teammates showed more class and dignity).

Johnny P
02-22-2018, 07:21
Don't knock curling. The Russian had to get doped up to compete at that level.

leftyo
02-22-2018, 08:04
Don't knock curling. The Russian had to get doped up to compete at that level.

i can see why the russians dope for it. it sure looks like good fun if you were drinking, other than that wow boring! LOL

Ken The Kanuck
02-22-2018, 10:03
i can see why the russians dope for it. it sure looks like good fun if you were drinking, other than that wow boring! LOL

Only the very best sports are where you can have a beer and a smoke while competing.:icon_lol:

KTK

butlersrangers
02-23-2018, 07:44
I like Olympic Curling. I love the language and sound of Curling.

All nationalities and languages take on the accent of Canadian and Low-Land Scots English. There is a whole specialized vocabulary.

The Women Curlers are Hot with beautiful eyes and nice shapes. During a shot, they sound like they are having really good sex.

The Commentators are amusing and creative: "Excitement at the Curling Arena" - oxymoron, "Curling Timeout" - redundancy, "Tricked-Out Curling Shoes" - irony.

I like Curling and will miss it when the Winter Olympics are over. But, I'm retired with a bunch of Molson's Export Ale in the fridge and Baseball is just around the corner!

jon_norstog
02-23-2018, 08:47
Only the very best sports are where you can have a beer and a smoke while competing.:icon_lol:

KTK

When I lived in Bangkok there was a group called itself the Hash House Harriers. They would run from bar to bar - they said they were drinkers with a running problem. I gather it's a regular sport in OZ.

And yeah US (Minnesota, actually) versus Canada for the gold, it doesn't get any better than that!

jn

butlersrangers
02-23-2018, 09:50
Minnesota is practically in Canada!

Actually, it is U.S. vs. Sweden for the Men's Curling Gold Medal.

(Wow, That got exciting! U.S. lads won Gold).