PDA

View Full Version : Might lose Big Iron

S.A. Boggs
02-22-2018, 01:09
Got T-Boned in the round about, same place the postal truck hit me ten years ago. Door is cracked as well as the body, my agent said due to age [1997] and mileage [376,000] that it might not be feasible to fix him again. Wolf and I are OK, Big Iron isn't. Just when I was getting it broke in!!!:eusa_wall:
Sam

JB White
02-23-2018, 04:41
Can't replace an old favorite. Is it worth going to the junkyard for a door and doing your own repairs?

S.A. Boggs
02-23-2018, 05:01
Can't replace an old favorite. Is it worth going to the junkyard for a door and doing your own repairs?

Since the insurance has it now and if totaled I thought about buying Big Iron back. Insurance won't carry this truck if totaled out. In my AO Jeeps in the junkyard is a rarity, I have only see one and it was burnt out. No, I was going to put some money into other needed repairs to keep him on the road, so I think it is time to just let him go. I hate to do it but he and I have ran our last race together after 17 years. I will be looking at a replacement today, a 4x4 PU with auto [wife said she will drive this one] and I need more carrying capacity to haul firewood and lead.
Sam

Allen
02-23-2018, 05:12
It wouldn't hurt to look for a door and get an estimate from a body shop on just pulling the frame back straight again with you doing any welding and painting but if you're like me you don't need any more projects. I've had similar circumstances: you've lost an old friend, it's not worth fixing and not worth anything to anyone else. In my case I had to just eventually call a wrecking yard to come and get my car. I hated to see it go but it looked bad sitting in the yard and me working rotating 12hr shifts at the time, it wasn't getting repaired.

I have an old 1990 Silverado now that's my work truck. It has < 150K miles on it and I know everything that has been replaced on it so I would trust it to go anywhere. From a distance it looks good but up close you realize it isn't something you want to take on a "night on the town" with. My wife is on my case about getting rid of it but I won't. Over time I will spend way more on it than it is worth but just can't stand the thought of giving it away or junking it because the paint job and minor interior repairs will be more than the truck is worth.

Seeing your latest post I see you are giving it up. Probably the best move with 376K miles. How far off can an engine job possibly be? Time to start making new memory's perhaps.

dave
02-23-2018, 05:46
When ever cars/ trucks hit a certain age the value drops to almost nothing. Therefore I drop insurance on the vehicle. Not worth paying insurance when repair cost will be higher then value!

JB White
02-23-2018, 06:11
When ever cars/ trucks hit a certain age the value drops to almost nothing. Therefore I drop insurance on the vehicle. Not worth paying insurance when repair cost will be higher then value!

I see it just a little differently. It only costs me about $63 per year to carry the extra collision coverage. Liability and medical is required by state law. So, for that $63 which I don't really miss, if the vehicle is totaled the collision payout will at least put me into a roller right away and keep me going.

A few months ago my son bought a late model used car. I asked him, since he let his old policy drop, how he was going to drive it off the lot without insurance. He replied he wouldn't get a ticket if stopped because he had the recent bill of sale. "Oh yeah..so what if you get into an accident? The maximum sueable amount in this state is $1M. You got a million bucks in the bank?"
I let him scratch his head for a second until it sank in.

He's over 25 so he's covered on my car. With my policy I'm covered on whatever I drive. So, we switched cars for the trip. When we got to my house so he could buy insurance online, he asked if we could first trade vehicles! He loves that old Lincoln :) Like Sam, I'll miss that land yacht when it gives up the ghost. 21 years is the longest I've ever kept a vehicle.

Allen
02-23-2018, 06:25
I have State Farm Ins. They will fully insure me (before taking out ins.) if and when I buy a car for 2 weeks based on nothing but a dated bill of sale.

The problem I do have is that as my car gets older and somewhat worthless the rates do not go down very much. If and when I drop collision ins I keep the liability and 100% comprehensive.

I too have 2 land yacht's, a 2000 Crown Vic w/200K miles and a 2004 Grand Marquis w/120K miles. The Mercury still has a little new car smell left in it. There are no replacement equivalent's to these cars once they go.

Sunray
02-23-2018, 10:16
"...How far off can an engine job possibly be?..." Less fuss and cheaper to put in a used motor.
A '97 anything they're going to write off. T-boned with cracked parts likely means the frame is at least bent. Cost more to fix than it's worth.
Comprehensive coverage(that fixes stuff like cracked windshields and damaged caused to your vehicle by you hitting posts, etc.) is fraudulent. Insurance companies have no intention of paying out on fixing your accidents. The deductible can be more than what it costs to fix whatever is damaged. Had an '87 Samurai that I needed a windshield for. Comprehensive deductible was $300Cdn. Cost of the windshield, installed, was $150Cdn.
Collision is you hitting other vehicles and fixing the stuff you run into.
"...the value drops to almost nothing..." Your vehicle drops in value every year. The insurance companies have their own Blue Book.
"...because he had the recent bill of sale..." He's confused. In most places you cannot drive off the lot unless you're insured. A bill of sale is not insurance. $1,000 fine in Illinois for driving without liability insurance. Plus his vehicle registration and driver’s license would be suspended up to three months until a $100 reinstatement fee and proof of insurance are submitted.

Allen
02-23-2018, 10:43
A lot of cars if not most cars are sold on weekends and at night when the ins offices are closed. Do you have them towed home? No. Like I said State Farm and probably most other company's will insure you up to a couple of weeks till you can call or get to their office. The ins payment begins on the date you buy the car, not the 2 weeks afterward so there is no free ins, just ins in advance. I can buy a 40,000# dump truck or a Lamborghini and be covered from day one w/o notifying the ins co till later. You probably have to have an existing policy with at least one other car though I suppose.

By 100% comprehensive ins I mean I pay no deductible. It covers limbs falling from trees hitting your car, rock chips on your windshield and most any act of God that you can't avoid. I've had a lot of windshields replaced over the years and have never paid a dime. I don't even know the cost.

If any of you have any doubt call your agent.

S.A. Boggs
02-23-2018, 10:48
I have had State Farm for close to 40 years, so far please with the coverage. The shop gave thumbs down on repair, so total. I can buy it back and use a salvage title to insure, problem is finding the needed parts to repair as no parts available. Called junk yards, nothing available. When I find out next week what I am allowed will go looking seriously for a truck, maybe another Jeep/Grand Cherokee. With my neuropathy some days climbing in and out was painful to say the least.
Sam

blocker
02-23-2018, 12:06
What about EBAY? They sell everything!!

S.A. Boggs
02-24-2018, 04:32
Last night went on line looking @ 4X4 pickup's, will take a look see this A.M.
Sam

Allen
02-24-2018, 07:13
If you go the ebay route you can sort it by "nearest first" and it gives you the approx. distance from your zip code. Most will be out of state and no doubt further than you want to go. You are still buying sight unseen too.

Here is a sight called AutoTrader:
https://www.autotrader.com/?LNX=SPMSNBRANDCAMP&cid=SI_444086461_1432577200_1

And probable the best sight, craigslist, but watch out for scams. If the description if brief, if they show their own email contact, if they only show one picture, if the price is an odd amount and ridiculously low then it more than likely is a fake add. Most are legitimate though and local.

https://mobile.craigslist.org/ This is for Mobile. You will need to change the local upon logging on.

S.A. Boggs
02-24-2018, 07:48
In life a guy wants a good woman, a faithful dog, dependable handgun and truck. I am going to do my best to keep Big Iron, we have been together too long to be separate. I have a guy who will do good body work reasonable, we need a new door so I am looking. I wonder if a late model Jeep door will fit mine, gona looksee.
Sam

Allen
02-24-2018, 08:09
I have a guy who will do good body work reasonable, we need a new door so I am looking. I wonder if a late model Jeep door will fit mine, gona looksee.

Doubtful, they changed body styles a couple of times since 1997. This guy who is doing the body work may have better resources on finding a door.

craigslist examples

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/parts-only-1997-jeep-grand/6503583377.html

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ptd/d/jeep-parts-used-oem-wrangler/6489044600.html

S.A. Boggs
02-27-2018, 05:17
Did pretty good with the insurance, more then I expected. Due to damage, Big Iron will go directly to a salvage yard nothing I can do short of not turning him loose. Will have a tow truck come after him on Thursday, so tomorrow I will take my stuff out. Looking @ 3 vehicles, Jeep Compass-2 Nissan 4 door trucks-Ford 4 door 150. All trucks are 4x4 or not considering due to the need of 4x4. Which one, that is easy...the one that will pass my garages OK and I can make the best deal on. If I cannot take the vehicle to my garage for a complete inspection I will walk away. Wish my bride and I luck as it has been awhile on making a deal on a truck. Last one I got the guy to knock 1/5th off his asking price, which was way below KBB. I have found that having cash on hand works in dealing. I have already thoroughly checked out on each vehicle including CARFAX where possible.
Sam

Allen
02-27-2018, 07:53
A 4x4 may be handy in the snow. Every man needs a truck. I think the Jeep Compass has gotten some bad reviews. Most all of the later Fords have one sparkplug that is hard (and very costly) to get to on the V8's. Your mechanic can advise you much better.

Good luck. Keep us advised.

JB White
02-27-2018, 08:55
Sam, I can't be of very much help but I wish you the best. It's always tough to put an old dog down. I too have heard less-than-stellar about the Compass. My daughter bought one not too long ago (2017) and she is pleased with hers. Mind you, all she's done is primarily city driving and it's her first new car. You get the picture. Given all that, no complaints at all.

The inner me says "go Ford..go Ford". Never mind me. You've been around the block and know your needs.

JohnMOhio
02-27-2018, 09:39
I suggest that some of you should sit down and actually read your auto policies. For instance, Mr. White, when you drove your son's auto, your policy provided coverage while driving your son's might not be true. Was your car not available? Was it a temporary substitute vehicle? Such as a rental vehicle while yours was in for repairs or service. Some policies have conditions such as this. Also, if you policy extended coverage for you to drive your sons car, it did not extend coverage to your son as owner of the car. As for you son driving your car, most policies extend coverage when you give permission. If he is not a resident of your household or not a listed driver on your policy, permission to drive you car could apply. You as owner are still protected. However, if he does not have an acceptable driving record, regardless if your are aware of it or not, and you gave him permission, you as owner could be held liable for any serious damages or injuries over and above the limits of your policy. I say this because to many folks think they know what is in their policy. They have never read it. Same with your homeowners policy. Read it.

S.A. Boggs
03-02-2018, 01:56
After a two day wait the truck came and got him, I couldn't watch so my daughter took care of the paperwork for me. I did buy a pickup, an 06 Ford F150 4x4 with rear folding seats. It was a company truck [installed T.V. satellite dishes] so there is a carrier on the back. I am taking off the ladder holder attachment as I have no need for it and it whistles like crazy. Ii has two side locking boxes and the tailgate open into the box itself. Won't have to worry about anything being stolen and I can still haul what I need to. I bought it from the garage that has done all my repair work and he did the maintance on the F-150 as well so no worries. It will be Monday before I can take title and new plates, the price was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below book so I am pleased. Up to the last minute I toyed with the idea of repair on my Jeep, financially it wasn't practical as more issues surfaced then I first realized...just too much hidden damage and age/mileage deterioration. Oh well, nothing lasts forever except taxes!
Sam

Allen
03-02-2018, 02:27
Again with 376K miles on the old jeep many problems were due (overdue) to come up shortly. Sounds like you made a good choice and you have a truck now to haul stuff with and still have a rear seat to boot.

Thanks for the update.

S.A. Boggs
03-02-2018, 02:58
I folded up the rear seats and put Wolfs pillow [my wife made it for her] and Wolf enjoys it. Rear doors are easy to open and what I and the wife like is NO CARPET to have to clean just rubber mat. We are going to put on seat covers as my wife doesn't like the color of the seats and I am placing water holding mats as well...much to do.
Sam

dryheat
03-03-2018, 12:58
Wolf is a female? That kind of ruins it for me.

S.A. Boggs
03-03-2018, 02:24
Wolf is a female? That kind of ruins it for me.
Wolf is very protective of me regarding me as the leader of her "pack" and acting accordingly. She always sits with her back to me watching, listening, guarding. If I leave the room she goes with me to take care of me. Right now I am in my recliner and she is only two feet away sleeping, if I get up she watches to see where, what I am doing. She has been my constant companion since she was two months old which is kinda nice. She is also my taste tester, @ McDonalds I have to order extra bacon so she can "test" a part of every piece.:1948:
Sam

Allen
03-03-2018, 06:10
I have found that female dogs are more aggressive and more protective but eat more and more apt to bite the crap out of you if you have to move their food dish while they are eating. They bark more and tend to get fatter than the males in later life. Some people prefer them when it comes to watch dogs.

Males tend to be more docile and like to play. They are more easily trained and it is usually the males that like to catch Frisbee's. They bark but not nearly so much and they aren't as aggressive. The male dogs that I've had have never even growled when moving or taking their food away. Males seem to be less apt to bite strangers.

Having them fixed in their youth (both sexes) tends to change their personalities a little also and make them a little more loyal.

Sex and breeds make a lot of difference on dogs. The one I have now (my daughters dog) has white fur, the skin is fair also, don't know it this makes a difference but he doesn't even smell like a dog. He gets a bath once a week and stays in the house except for his walks. Coming into my home, you would never know I had a dog living here due to no smell, no hair/shedding, and no fleas. As you know you get extremely attached to them regardless of what kind they are. They quickly become a "who" rather than a "what". Worse thing about any dog is they don't live near long enough.

JB White
03-03-2018, 06:42
Male dogs can mark their perimeter every day and you wouldn't know it. Females will squat and soak thus ruining an otherwise well kept lawn. Eat food-pee acid.

Worse thing about any dog is they don't live near long enough.

Isn't that the truth! Had two females that lived to 18 and 16 years. Both Shepherd mutts that outlived several "siblings". The rest departed way too soon.

S.A. Boggs
03-03-2018, 06:50
Wolf is a hybrid of Arctic Wolf and Alaskan Husky with who knows what else, some Lab I think. The American Kennel Club states there is no Husky bred due to being so mixed, that is true. Wolf barks, growls deeply and is very aggressive, I have the scars on my arms to prove it. I had a pair of leather wrist cuffs made when I play with her, as well as leather gloves. She will stand on her hind legs to come at you to play so I have to be careful. She only weighs about 60 pounds but that is pure muscle! Running is her thing and that she loves to do, I have an electronic collar on her to call her back or her circles just keep getting bigger and bigger. At our church we have a few acres side lot inside the fence, she can circle on full tilt in no time. She snarled @me one time in aggression and it cost her big time. Her collar is quite "stunning" to say the least, I stood back letting her think that she had won pointing my right hand at her I hit the control with my left. The control is in my pocket and was on max so it rolled her quickly. I did it twice and she just laid there, not moving just watching me as I stood there with my arm extended to her. I just have to point my finger at her and she sits/lays down quickly with no protest. She understands, as does our 120 pound American Square Head Black Lab who is top dog. Honestly, with patience on my part, proper repetitive training and positive rewards both dogs were easy to train. In public they are only on a leash due to the nervous nellies in society and are better behaving then many kids. I have had restaurant managers/store managers tell me how well behaved Wolf is and to come back.
Sam

Former Cav
03-11-2018, 04:14
We had a female Great Pyrenees that was great. didn't bark hardly at all, was not aggressive but was a darned good watch dog and she KNEW if someone was BAD or up to something!!