PDA

View Full Version : Not gun related, but I'm concerned

Major Tom
02-25-2018, 10:02
We have Hugesnet.com for internet and land line phone services. We were having a problem with the land line and called their customer support. While talking to the tech person she said "there is someone standing behind you". She went on describing the computer desk, wall colors, etc. How can this be? My computer does not have a 'camera'. The tech lady was in California. There is a large satellite dish on our roof for the internet and land line. This bothers us to no end! Can they really see inside our house and what we're doing? Comments please!

dave
02-25-2018, 10:25
Why would you have a large dish on your house for a "land line" telephone I also have Hugesnet and a land line phone, the phone is wires from phone Co., same system used 80 years ago really. Do you have one of those "bundled" deals. In the meantime do not walk around 'nude' in tour house!

Allen
02-25-2018, 10:46
A lot of TV's have camera's now. Is your TV wired to your phone jack or connected to the internet by use of a router? If the camera is in the computer how could she see the computer desk otherwise?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/if-you-have-a-smart-tv-take-a-closer-look-at-your-privacy-settings.html

https://www.techlicious.com/blog/is-your-tv-watching-you-latest-models-raise-concerns/

clintonhater
02-25-2018, 11:01
A lot of TV's have camera's now.

Another reason to love my 1997 Panasonic.

Major Tom
02-25-2018, 11:14
A lot of TV's have camera's now. Is your TV wired to your phone jack or connected to the internet by use of a router? If the camera is in the computer how could she see the computer desk otherwise?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/if-you-have-a-smart-tv-take-a-closer-look-at-your-privacy-settings.html

We have Dish TV service and is connected via WiFi to the internet. Computer has no camera or Skype app. No TV in room tech was describing. Previously our land line was connected via our previous cable TV provider. No 'old' phone lines. Internet and land line is thru Hughes via the satallite dish. None of our TVs have cameras either. Baffling? yes!

Allen
02-25-2018, 11:27
Baffling? yes!

Has to be a camera somewhere (computer monitor, phone, ipad, etc.). From what the service lady told you she could see you should be able to tell about where the camera is. It would be nice if you could get her on the line again and run your hand over the perimeter of the computer monitor screen and other electronic devices to see where she would lose vision of your room.

I think if this happened to me I would be yanking wires, unplugging the WiFi, covering things up and using the computer in the dark. Personally I have nothing to hide its just the privacy invasion aspect of it all and the disturbing fact that it must be legal.

dryheat
02-25-2018, 09:43
That's hard to believe. If they had that capability(and they shouldn't) why would she "spill the beans" and let you know they could see you. Why would she need to see you. Sounds almost like one of those "mediums" from the old days; they could make up a story about you 'cause they had a fifty percent chance of being right. I'd be pounding on some doors.

free1954
02-26-2018, 04:03
I think if this happened to me I would be yanking wires, unplugging the WiFi, covering things up and using the computer in the dark. Personally I have nothing to hide its just the privacy invasion aspect of it all and the disturbing fact that it must be legal.

i'm with you there. this is scary.

JB White
02-26-2018, 05:59
i'm with you there. this is scary.

You're not really scared. We saw it on your face while you were posting.

bruce
02-26-2018, 06:19
Much ado about nothing. You have a camera either on your computer or some of your equipment. If you want it removed, you remove the equipment. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

Sunray
02-26-2018, 09:43
No satellite dishes involved with a 'real' land line. Us techies can do magic, but there's a camera somewhere. What kind of phone? Cell phones have cameras. It is rumoured a TV can be turned into a camera too.
I'd suggest you talk to your lawyer and Hugesnet customer service about the invasion of privacy.
"...same system used 80 years ago..." Most U.S. infrastructure is that old.

Vern Humphrey
02-26-2018, 10:37
We have Hugesnet.com for internet and land line phone services. We were having a problem with the land line and called their customer support. While talking to the tech person she said "there is someone standing behind you". She went on describing the computer desk, wall colors, etc. How can this be? My computer does not have a 'camera'. The tech lady was in California. There is a large satellite dish on our roof for the internet and land line. This bothers us to no end! Can they really see inside our house and what we're doing? Comments please!

Find that damn' camera and put masking tape over the lens!!

JOHN COOK
02-26-2018, 10:37
Why would you have a large dish on your house for a "land line"

That would be my question also. I have a land line (ATT) and Direct TV land line should have nothing to do with and image. As someone posted you have a camera on some where and I sure don't understand how a tech talking to you can see you on a (HARD) line .. If you find out please enlighten all of us. My wife talks and sends images to my granddaughter all the time .You lay that I pad down and it will transmit until battery dies or you cut it off.

Something don't jive..

Major Tom
02-26-2018, 02:11
I'm beginning to think it was our smart phone thru which I was talking to the tech. But, the camera lens on the backside was desk down. I may be over paranoid and wife is almost freaking. That smart phone can take selfies and landscape pics. Thanks to all who responded! I'm some what relieved.

High Plaines Doug r
02-26-2018, 03:00
My I phone has a camera lens on both the front and back side.

free1954
02-27-2018, 01:20
You're not really scared. We saw it on your face while you were posting.

HA HA HA if I knew you guys were watching I would have put some pants on.

togor
02-27-2018, 07:04
Anyone here have a smart phone? Leave the location feature on all the time?

JB White
02-27-2018, 08:57
I have an old dumb phone with a screen that's going blind. My GPS is turned off unless I make a 911 call.

Major Tom
02-28-2018, 08:08
Anyone here have a smart phone? Leave the location feature on all the time?

Yeah, good point! Ours is turned off.