PDA

View Full Version : gun Safe for Car

kickshot7
03-06-2018, 04:24
I wanted to get some opinions and different options for storing a gun in a car. I am a CHL holder, and I do carry whenever possible. But sometimes my job makes me go to schools, and I never carry in a school. I can still have my gun locked in my car.

I've seen options with a cable that locks around something, and then I just pull it out as I need. But ideally, I'd like something like a drawer under my seat that I could just stick a key and have the drawer pop out.

Do any of you guys know anything like this? Or have any better ideas?

Thanks!

JOHN COOK
03-06-2018, 05:46
My friend, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM:icon_scratch:

john

leftyo
03-06-2018, 06:30
i dont recall who/what/where, but they do make small gun safes/lock boxes for bolting into cars.

kickshot7
03-07-2018, 12:40
Any one else having the same issues ? Trying no to be another statistic.
Safety is everything

dryheat
03-07-2018, 04:46
Your about 21 aren't you? And illiterate, and(I hate this)maybe from a foreign country.

Allen
03-07-2018, 05:05
Keep it hidden in the trunk when not in use. If you drive a SUV and don't have a trunk hide it under a panel such as where the spare tire is stored. Either way it would still be out of sight and locked up. If you're still worried about someone finding it and killing someone with it store or hide the ammo separately from the gun.

dryheat
03-07-2018, 05:14
More nonsense.

jjrothWA
03-07-2018, 07:01
I use a "Stack-on" PC-095 locker for in the car. fit under the seat and with velcro on bottom minimizes sliding into view. Adequate for a "snatch & grab", might delay for a more determined person. this uses a three digit combination lock, another has a key, and a third has an digital lock.

Have seen a Hornady locker, goes around a substantial anchor in vehicle, and seems a robust construction, but hangs out in view.

only saving grace, they all meet CA standards, [for what ever value that means].

Good Luck, post back what you decided.

JB White
03-07-2018, 07:11
Concealed carry does not = a badge. You cannot unholster/reholster in public view. So, scratch the notion of a trunk safe. Any security device which may be spotted while parked is a target. (drawer, reinforced console, etc.) It doesn't matter "how much time it'll take 'em to open it". The car is stolen in under a minute and can be off the street in minutes. They have as much time as it takes.

Use common sense and put it out of view as one would with any valuables to be left behind. Do it before you arrive. Never be seen putting something into a vehicle only to walk away.

JOHN COOK
03-07-2018, 08:16
Your about 21 aren't you? And illiterate, and(I hate this)maybe from a foreign country.
If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Nope I think profile indicates 47-48 years old.:icon_scratch:

john

RED
03-07-2018, 06:47
Come on guys, you are being too tough on kickshot. If I were still around, I would have told him to forget about the safe's, cables, etc. Just follow common sense rules and keep your carry gun out of sight and lock your car. People break into cars for one of two reasons:

1. To steal something they believe (or can see) is inside the vehicle.

2. To steal the car.

#1 is easy, just do what JB says....

#2 Why would they steal your car instead of one of the dozens of other nearby cars? It is probably because it is easy... you left the keys in the ignition, or the windows cracked open, or maybe you drive a Corvette, or a Ferrari and left the top off in East St Louis.

In any event it is easy to place your carry piece out of sight and secure your car. If somebody steals your locked vehicle and then uses your tire tool to kill somebody... you are not liable. If somebody steals your locked vehicle, finds your legal carry gun, and kills somebody, you are not liable.

free1954
03-08-2018, 01:20
Come on guys, you are being too tough on kickshot. If I were still around, I would have told him to forget about the safe's, cables, etc. Just follow common sense rules and keep your carry gun out of sight and lock your car. People break into cars for one of two reasons:

1. To steal something they believe (or can see) is inside the vehicle.

2. To steal the car.

#1 is easy, just do what JB says....

#2 Why would they steal your car instead of one of the dozens of other nearby cars? It is probably because it is easy... you left the keys in the ignition, or the windows cracked open, or maybe you drive a Corvette, or a Ferrari and left the top off in East St Louis.

In any event it is easy to place your carry piece out of sight and secure your car. If somebody steals your locked vehicle and then uses your tire tool to kill somebody... you are not liable. If somebody steals your locked vehicle, finds your legal carry gun, and kills somebody, you are not liable.

agree. out of sight out of mind.

kickshot7
03-08-2018, 07:54

Thank everyone for you experience advice. out of sight is truly our of mind is this situation... Picture attached is an example of something i have in Mind.

free1954
03-08-2018, 09:28

Thank everyone for you experience advice. out of sight is truly our of mind is this situation... Picture attached is an example of something i have in Mind.

hey I like that. looks like a dandy.

steelap
03-08-2018, 03:04
Welcome back, Red!

jjrothWA
03-08-2018, 06:10
The "Stack-on" unit will hold a: J-frame , combat commander / S&W M39-2. Just an idea of size.

JB White
03-09-2018, 05:03
The "Stack-on" unit will hold a: J-frame , combat commander / S&W M39-2. Just an idea of size.

You're talking about this one?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/S1wAAMXQ1eBR5aYB/s-l300.jpg

Looks as though it would fit beneath a seat with the cable secured to the base of the seat track. Providing of course your power seat motors allow for enough space at the front. It's also transferable from one vehicle to another.
It would take a hefty pair of dykes to gnaw through the cable. Provides a good enough stall to deter the average grab-n-go thief.

jjrothWA
03-09-2018, 04:25
Yep, that's it!

Is the sidearm shown a 3.5"1911 trpe?
Wish they would issue two cables, when bought. Buying a couple more , one for the wife's car and the other for being able to swap-out different firearms.

A long length locker would be grat for hold a K-Frame 4"!

Former Cav
03-11-2018, 03:50
the NRA sells one of the 1911 with the 5 inch barrel for something like 19.95
I just got there online email a while back.

Mark in Ottawa
03-11-2018, 05:18
I found this site on the web. https://www.asecurelife.com/car-gun-safes/

p246
03-11-2018, 07:43
I drive a POS car, no one wants to steal it, heck haven’t even lost the loose change in the cup holder. If you run a lock box, conceal it well. The turds where I work would see it, break the window and pry it out. Take the whole thing. Spend two days trying to pry it open, when they couldn’t would throw the hole thing in the river.

Jim in Salt Lake
03-11-2018, 10:59
I used to carry a Browning Hi-Power. On the rare occasion when I had to leave it in the car, I'd take the slide off and put that in the glove compartment and put the frame under the seat and put the slide stop in my pocket. My thinking was that if my car was broken into or stolen, the pistol wouldn't be readily usable. I'd still worry about it anyway.

Former Cav
03-12-2018, 01:04
I'd take the slide off and put that in the glove compartment and put the frame under the seat and put the slide stop in my pocket. My thinking was that if my car was broken into or stolen, the pistol wouldn't be readily usable. I'd still worry about it anyway.
I did something similar when passing through Chicago. That way they couldn't say I had a gun. I only had "parts"
thankfully, I never got stopped or had an accident or a need for any emergency type services!
I won't even pass through the corner of CA, NY, or IL anymore. Screw em.

Allen
03-12-2018, 02:58
I drive a POS car, no one wants to steal it, heck haven’t even lost the loose change in the cup holder. If you run a lock box, conceal it well. The turds where I work would see it, break the window and pry it out. Take the whole thing. Spend two days trying to pry it open, when they couldn’t would throw the hole thing in the river.

Just drive a car that's already stolen and carry a stolen gun. If you're ripped off then no sweat and the heat is on them now and off of you. A win win situation.

JB White
03-12-2018, 04:10
I did something similar when passing through Chicago. That way they couldn't say I had a gun. I only had "parts"
thankfully, I never got stopped or had an accident or a need for any emergency type services!
I won't even pass through the corner of CA, NY, or IL anymore. Screw em.

You're lucky you didn't get stopped. Gun parts and ammunition components were considered firearms by Chicago. Outside a locked case away from the drivers compartment you were technically transporting illegally through the city. Something as minor as a spent 9mm case on the floor could have done the trick. And you guys thought Chicago banned handguns alone?

Jim in Salt Lake
03-13-2018, 06:45
I don't drive through Chicago with any type of firearms. I shoot the Midwest Palma match every June in Wisconsin and then go visit my daughter and son in law in NW Ohio. I go south through Iowa and catch I80 east to avoid the Chicago tolls and gun laws. Just don't want the hassle and risk.

p246
03-13-2018, 06:46
Just drive a car that's already stolen and carry a stolen gun. If you're ripped off then no sweat and the heat is on them now and off of you. A win win situation.

Made me laugh thanks

Former Cav
03-14-2018, 02:59
You're lucky you didn't get stopped. Gun parts and ammunition components were considered firearms by Chicago. Outside a locked case away from the drivers compartment you were technically transporting illegally through the city. Something as minor as a spent 9mm case on the floor could have done the trick. And you guys thought Chicago banned handguns alone?

Really? I had the frame in a LOCKED box in the backmost part of the SUV and the slide in a suitcase If I remember correctly.
it that is illegal, they truly are INSANE!

JB White
03-14-2018, 04:38
A firearm constitutes any component/parts and/or ammunition or its components. I don't think the average blue&white would bother with you. Might even tell you how to stow it legally. However not all of them are very common sense street savvy anymore.