Kudos to the Mom.:icon_salut:

KTK

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/harrow-mom-walk-school-sign-bus-1.4568266

milboltnut
03-09-2018, 07:18
Hooorah !!

Vern Humphrey
03-09-2018, 09:18
There's two kids who will grow up to be fine citizens, thanks to their Mom.

kickshot7
03-09-2018, 12:55
This is how we were brought up...actions breed consequence.

blackhawknj
03-09-2018, 01:54
"Shaming doesn't work." ? That person probably has nothing to be ashamed of. And I suppose in their world locking up violent offenders, fines don't work either.

kickshot7
03-09-2018, 03:47
its better than taking their cellphone or video came. Kids new to know life is hard. and every other kid is their competitor.

JB White
03-10-2018, 01:44
"Shaming doesn't work." ? That person probably has nothing to be ashamed of. And I suppose in their world locking up violent offenders, fines don't work either.

Words from yet another politically correct pseudo-shrink who recites text to earn an income.

bruce
03-10-2018, 04:22
Good parenting? No. In this case, it looks like discipline due to frustration with the behavior of the children. Parenting ... that takes time and thought and effort. In this case, it cannot be described so much as good parenting but more like knee jerk reaction to a child acting out. If the parents wants better conduct from their children, they have to do more than merely punish. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

kickshot7
03-10-2018, 05:03
Good parenting? No. In this case, it looks like discipline due to frustration with the behavior of the children. Parenting ... that takes time and thought and effort. In this case, it cannot be described so much as good parenting but more like knee jerk reaction to a child acting out. If the parents wants better conduct from their children, they have to do more than merely punish. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

WRONG!!!!! some kid just won't listen to correction....a lot of them respond positively to action = reaction aftermath

bruce
03-10-2018, 05:18
Re: Wrong. Nope. Have seen a lot of children in 37 years of full-time pastoral ministry. Have also seen a lot of parents. Some of them were effective. Some ... no. The parent is always completely responsible for how they raise their child. If they do not know what they are doing, if they are themselves troubled by what happened to them in their childhood, etc., then they need to get help. If they do not have sufficent skills to be effective parents, again they can and need to get help. But, that is predicated on the idea that the job of a father/mother is to parent their child(ren) rather than merely react to them with either praise or punishment. If all one wants is to manage a bunch of barking dogs, Pavlov's method works as does negative/positive conditioning. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

Ken The Kanuck
03-10-2018, 08:23
Bruce, do you have children?

KTK

RED
03-10-2018, 08:30
AH! Children, as my grandmother used to say, "When they are young they break your things, and when they grow up, they break your heart."

togor
03-10-2018, 11:52
Where's the dad in this story? Context matters a lot, and we have almost none.

My kids knew better from a young age not to jack off like that. But when discipline was required, it was a family matter, not fodder for frickin' social media.

kickshot7
03-10-2018, 12:13
AH! Children, as my grandmother used to say, "When they are young they break your things, and when they grow up, they break your heart."

sounds like a very wise woman....i have see Kids who come from good home and had great parents but they are hell bent on being criminals and taking drugs....
parents can only do so little

bruce
03-10-2018, 12:46
Bruce, do you have children?

KTK

Two daughters ... college educated ... married. Each has a small child. Each works full-time as of course do their husbands. As well, have on any given week at least 12-15 children in our church programs on Sunday and Wednesday nights. As well, we help folks who need a to get a GED. This means we help them with their small children so that they can attend class. We also work closely with the local elementary school to help w/ food for the weekends when the children are not so likely to have regular meals. My views on parenting, etc. reflect my own experience at this pastoral appointment as well as of course previous years of experience. It is from this context that I responded to the OP. Sincerely. bruce.

JB White
03-10-2018, 01:48
I recall a time (1965) when my brother and I thought it fun to hit passing trucks with stones. Made a large noise and we might have to run away from a PO'd truck driver. The beat cop pinched us. Walked us home holding me by the hair and my brother by his ear. (he had a crew cut)
Cop held one of us on the front porch while my mother took the strap to the @ss, then traded off for the next one. Welted, embarrassed in front of the neighbors, and fearful of going to jail next time, we never threw stones like that again.

I only wish they thought having us walk with a sign would have been punishment enough. Doesn't matter the home life and all that other PC BS. The kids learned a lesson.

Vern Humphrey
03-10-2018, 04:43

Let me slip into my training mode. There are three realms of learning:

Cognitive, which deals with language, logic, and similar things -- "book learning" if you will.

Psycho-motor, which deals with physical matters -- throwing a ball, riding a bike and so on.

Affective, which deals with values and attitudes.

Each realm has its own strategies -- you will appreciate you can't learn to throw a ball by listening to a lecture. You can't learn calculus by riding a unicycle.

The Affective strategies are things like pride, status, shame and so on. Make a person proud, and he will value the things that led to that. Make him ashamed and he will avoid the acts that produced shame.

free1954
03-11-2018, 03:16
The Affective strategies are things like pride, status, shame and so on. Make a person proud, and he will value the things that led to that. Make him ashamed and he will avoid the acts that produced shame.

words so true they should be posted above every classroom door.

free1954
03-11-2018, 03:23
I learned not to throw bickerburrs in my sister's hair, not because my mother's chiding of how long it took her to brush them out, but because of my granma smacking me across the back of my legs with her sheleighly.
and I don't know what the big deal is about walking to school. I walked to school all the time.

blackhawknj
03-11-2018, 02:19
We need to bring back the Scarlet Letter, the Dunce Cap. I recall as case a few years ago, a woman was nailed for shoplifting in a Walmart. The judge made her walk back and forth in front of the store for several hours a day wearing a sandwich board detailing her transgressions. In France after the Liberation women who "collaborated" too cozily with the Germans had their heads shaved, I recall seeing pictures of a Danish woman, they shaved her head, forced her to wear a Nazi flag and marched her thought the streets holding pictures of her German "friends".
On another board the topic of "bullying" came up. One member said in his school, one the assistant principals doubled as a coach, 6'2" Golden Gloves Heavyweight. They'd set up a ring in the gym, the bully had to square off against him, everybody got to watch.

Former Cav
03-11-2018, 03:35
My father would hit me across the butt with his razor strop (he was a barber). No one called it abuse back then (1950's to 1965 when I went into the army).
FEAR was a GREAT motivator. My mother would offer me two choices: "well Robert, you did XXX, you can write a written letter of apology to xxx OR you can be grounded for a week with NO TV and NO allowance). BTW... I was RATIONED to 1 hour of TV per day and it had to be "approved of"
If MOM thought that it was an offense that required more attention, then it was "wait till your father gets home" !!
I'm not in prison and I paid my taxes and have turned out to be a pretty good citizen.
Nowadays that would be ABUSE.
I LIVE next door to a mid school shrink and boy does SHE NEED HELP!

Ken The Kanuck
03-11-2018, 07:26
It is my belief that the most important lesson a parent can teach their child is that "there are consequences for their actions".

This mother is doing exactly that hence I call it good parenting.

KTK