PDA

View Full Version : Any collectors of antique fishing lures and gear?

Griff Murphey
03-11-2018, 05:39
I have my grandfather's tackle box which is full of an impressive assortment of lures and baits. He passed away in 1950 so most of it would likely date from the 20's-30's. I would like to see it go to a serious collector.

leftyo
03-11-2018, 06:06
if your selling, do your research, as some of it is probably worthless, but some of it may bring some serious money. ive never got into it, but over the years have seen some stuff you would believe is ready for the trash bring rediculous money.

Ken The Kanuck
03-11-2018, 07:21
I can put you in touch with a guy I know, PM me your email and I will pass it on.

KTK

clintonhater
03-12-2018, 06:21
As with guns & other collectables, condition is everything. Plugs with flaking paint & dents are seldom worth much unless they are pre-1900 or extremely rare. In general, plugs with glass eyes, as opposed to painted ones, are worth more. I fish exclusively with wooden plugs and never pay over $10 ea. for "beaters," as that's the most I can afford to loose when one gets wrapped around a snag or goes sailing into a tree top.

If you've got a Heddon Flap-Tail, my favorite, I'd sure like a chance to buy it.

PWC
03-12-2018, 09:09
I think jitter bug and devil horse are collectable.

dave
03-12-2018, 09:40
Not interested in plugs but if you have any plug type casting rods, I am looking for one made by TrueTemper (the tool maker). I believe they were brass with a chrome plating, cork handle, etc.

clintonhater
03-12-2018, 10:12
Not interested in plugs but if you have any plug type casting rods, I am looking for one made by TrueTemper (the tool maker). I believe they were brass with a chrome plating, cork handle, etc.

They had steel shafts and because so many of them have survived (unlike bamboo, which either broke or became ruined by moisture) can hardly be given away. Best steel rods were made by Horton Co.

JB White
03-12-2018, 10:25
I still have my grandfather's steel rod and fly reel. His tackle box rusted through. His flies rusted and were unraveling. His wood plugs were paint bare and split by the time my Grandmother passed them on to me.
Hula Poppers, jointed Rapalas...I wonder who got his other rods? Knowing Grandma she probably gave those to his Masonic brothers.

PWC
03-12-2018, 03:34
My folks are gone now but I remember when they had a yard sale in OK City. Dad had a square steel bait casting rod and a tackle box full of stuff. There was one young boy that kept coming back again and again to look at them. Dad sent him home to get his father and bring him back. When the boy and his father got back Dad made the father promise to take his son fishing and teach him to fish, after the father did, dad gave the boy the rod and tackle box. All 3 were happy with the profit from the transaction.

At another time, my mother threw out my father's old golf clobs because he had a new set. My father was very upset; what was thrown away was a full set of persimmon wood shafted clubs minus the #2 iron because I broke it hitting rocks when I was 5.

Mom also gave away a Singer sewing machine. I learned to sew on this and patch my jeans and make marble bags. My father added a motor to it in 1954-55, took off the leather belt and locked down the treddle. When I left home in 1963 the leather belt was still in one of the drawers.

A month or so later, she read in one of the women's magazines that the Singer museum was looking for that model, as they didn't have one.

Yes, I can go to the Cracker Barrel and look at the tools hanging from the cieling, and I know most of them, and have used many of them. I took dad to dinner once in a CB and he was giving me a history lesson on the tools; we turned around and five or six people were following us on a guided tour.....

dave
03-13-2018, 10:19
They had steel shafts and because so many of them have survived (unlike bamboo, which either broke or became ruined by moisture) can hardly be given away. Best steel rods were made by Horton Co.

Well I would pay for one. I had one when I guided up in Ontario, years ago. I had cut it down to make it stiffer as we trolled in 100 ft. water with heavy sinker and a flex rod would not set hook good at such a depth. I remember seeing brass. Perhaps brass plating under the chrome. I have an opportunity to fish at such depths again for lake trout and would like to duplicate that outfit. Have a Phluger (sp?) reel already.

clintonhater
03-13-2018, 12:00
Well I would pay for one. I had one when I guided up in Ontario, years ago. I had cut it down to make it stiffer as we trolled in 100 ft. water with heavy sinker and a flex rod would not set hook good at such a depth. I remember seeing brass. Perhaps brass plating under the chrome. I have an opportunity to fish at such depths again for lake trout and would like to duplicate that outfit. Have a Phluger (sp?) reel already.

Lots of them on ebay, such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Horton-BRISTOL-Steel-5-1-2-fishing-rod-with-original-cloth-case/323084596400?hash=item4b3957b4b0:g:v0sAAOSwiIxaJD7 E

But no casting rod is any good for trolling at 100'; which is why they make "boat rods"--short & stiff.