PDA

View Full Version : Back-up Cameras On Older Cars

sid
03-15-2018, 06:44
I have seen these advertised on Amazon. They are wireless and are fastened to the rear license plate. Does anyone here have any experience or advice on these things? TIA

S.A. Boggs
03-15-2018, 07:28
Wal-Mart now has them for less then 100 bucks, am getting one to go on my Ford F-150 due to being unable to see directly in back of my truck.
Sam

Ken The Kanuck
03-15-2018, 08:10
My truck has a camera and proximity alarms, both are great and since you are looking through a camera it is not always easy to judge just how close you are to putting a dent into your bumper, the alarm is a great added feature if you can find a camera with one.

KTK

dryheat
03-15-2018, 09:13
It's a great idea. I'm not that stiff in the neck but it seems I can't look around enough. I have backed into trees three times on camping trips.

Johnny P
03-16-2018, 05:49
Another bonus is backing out where the vehicle next to you blocks your vision. With the camera you can see if anything is coming.

gwp
03-16-2018, 06:43
Some of the things you should look for in your choice of camera are:

The size and resolution of the screen. Many of the choices have 4" screens.

The angle of view of the camera. This can range from 100 degrees to almost 180 degrees.

The low light capabilities of the camera.

The camera must be very water resistant and dust proof.

The mounting of the camera and display.

There are a lot of choices available for under $100.

Allen
03-16-2018, 07:32
At my last job all of our new crew trucks came with backup sensors which made a beeping sound that speeded up when you got closer to an object. At a refinery it's important not to back into things, some of the process equipment was very close to where we parked. As time went on these sensors malfunctioned in that they started beeping faster and faster when in fact there was noting behind you. May have just been a Ford thing and I've been away for a while now so the replacement trucks may have cameras in them now.

My point is a backup camera is a good idea and a lot more useful than an object detection alarm.

Here is what WM has. Ebay, Amazon and BestBuy may have them too.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=backup%20cameras%20wireless&typeahead=backup%20camera

Darreld Walton
03-19-2018, 05:56
Mine ended up being used mostly to attach trailers after I adjusted the camera to just show the top of the hitch ball. I don't do enough driving in town to get any use out of it, and the critters all seem to be smart enough to get out of the way on their own.

Allen
03-19-2018, 07:40
Mine ended up being used mostly to attach trailers after I adjusted the camera to just show the top of the hitch ball. I don't do enough driving in town to get any use out of it, and the critters all seem to be smart enough to get out of the way on their own.

Good idea. That would warrant a 2nd camera for someone who pulled a trailer a lot. I didn't realize they could be aimed and focused on something as close as the ball hitch.