PDA

View Full Version : In the market for another 10/22...maybe

JB White
04-01-2018, 07:10
I have a lot of different .22 rifles, but one I miss is the old 1970's era 10/22 basic carbine. Sold it years ago and bought a Marlin 783. Thinking about buying another Ruger.
Question is: If I were to buy a new 10/22 basic, might I expect to see any improvements if I were to swap out parts with take-off guts from my 10/22 VLE? Would there be any known problems to watch for?

Thinking if the carbine needed an upgrade, I would rather spend the money on the "better" rifle (VLE) instead of paying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Unless Ruger now installs the old "Target" guts in their basic model(?) I could then leave well enough alone which would be a major deciding factor on whether or not I really need another .22.
I just don't get out every week or two to shoot like I used to and I'm not a 10/22 collector.

bdm
04-01-2018, 12:17
i like the old plastic stock 22s remington model 66 was the one i had

JOHN COOK
04-01-2018, 01:22
i like the old plastic stock 22s remington model 66 was the one i had

I have three of the 66 Models and a clip fed 77. I have never had a jam or a misfire in them. Picked up a couple of the tubes that go in the butt at a show last year. Great rifles.

john

JB White
04-01-2018, 04:26
I like the Nylon 66 too. However that doesn't tell me if the new 10/22 basic has the improved trigger and extractors etc.

Allen
04-01-2018, 05:41
I like the Nylon 66 too. However that doesn't tell me if the new 10/22 basic has the improved trigger and extractors etc.

Sorry JB. I don't have the answer either but I do have a 10/22 and absolutely hate it. What they need to change/scrap/modify is the rotary magazine. By the time you get it loaded your thumb is so sore you don't care to shoot. I bought 30rd and even a 50rd mags when I bought my Ruger. I did that before even shooting it. So I then realized that loading these mags were really a joke as well. Yes, they make a crank tool that helps load the mags but you shouldn't need such. Also, when I bought the gun I bought the SS model with the laminated stock. It is pretty but soon afterward I noticed some cobweb looking corrosion on the receiver only. It turned out to be aluminum, just never finished so it would look like SS. The company had lacquered it to prevent it from tarnishing but somehow oxidation got under the coating and started corroding.

My first gun was a Nylon 66 @ about age 12. I still have it along with another one. I consider it the best 22lr rifle ever made and I have a Win 1890 and several Marlin 39A's for comparison along with others.

Not trying to be insulting or anything. You had a 10/22 and liked it. Nuff said, all I'm saying is if you're in the market anyway there are better guns out there.

JB White
04-01-2018, 07:16
Allen, I can understand your dismay about that receiver. I see they do advertise the SS version as having an alloy receiver at least now. Appreciate the heads up about the clearcoat failing. Although I prefer the black finish I did give the SS version a few thoughts. "Blued" it is then. (epoxy coated)

The newer magazines I have seem to be easier loading than I recall. Bought extra clear versions for the VLE when I bought it. The 16" heavy factory barrel is great off the bench but sucks while walking around. The optics only sight means no bumping either. Hence the desire for the 18" original profile and factory iron sights. It isn't as though I'm burning up bricks anymore. A knock-around semi auto with a quick mag change and the price is right.

After looking around I see where it could use a better trigger. I still need to find out if the factory is using identical bolt assemblies in both versions. I'm surely leaning towards buying a new basic model, but not if I have to put too much money into it afterwards. Seems like 10/22 owners out there LOVE to play dress-up and some "improvements" appear to cost much more than they're worth from a practical standpoint.
If all it will need is a lighter trigger and better extractor then it's OK by me. Costs are negligible. Bumping up the VLE to higher standards isn't worth the monetary outlay AFAIC.