PDA

View Full Version : United Shoe Machinery Corporation

IditarodJoe
04-02-2018, 12:16
I know that the United Shoe Machinery Corporation (USMC) manufactured parts for artillery and aircraft during WWI and WWII. Does anyone here know if they also made anything related to small arms?

While rummaging around in my basement, I ran across an old wooden crate marked United Shoe Mach'y Corp and USMC. Would be slick if there was a small arms connection.

leftyo
04-02-2018, 03:05
they did make stuff for 1903's i believe. dont quote me, but my mind is saying replacement bolts.

JB White
04-02-2018, 03:45
The USMC marking turns up on WW2 era replacement bolts for the M1917.

Tuna
04-05-2018, 10:36
United Shoe Machine Corp. made carbine receivers for Underwood as a sub-contractor for them. These were stamped with an S on the bevel of the receiver. The first contract was for 22,000 receivers and there were more made. Later Underwood sold receivers to Winchester after April 1944 when Underwood stopped making carbines.

IditarodJoe
04-06-2018, 07:39
Thanks to all for the information. This crate clearly came from the "shoe" side of the business (it contained tacks), but it's a neat old crate and the connection and the markings are interesting. I'll find a place for it among my shooting things.