PDA

View Full Version : He saw his main chance and disarmed the shooter

jon_norstog
04-23-2018, 01:08
James Shaw was having a 3 am meal with a friend at a Waffle House restaurant, after a night out clubbing. Then a crazy man started shooting the place up with an AR. Shaw took cover, then when the shooter paused to reload, jumped him, took his gun away and tossed it .. the shooter ran. Shaw says he's no hero, he was just trying to save his own life.

I hope he gets free waffles, eggs and coffee the rest of his life. At least!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43862504

jn

TomSudz
04-23-2018, 01:12
I hope he gets free waffles, eggs and coffee the rest of his life. At least!
jn

I'd second that motion. Seems fair enough.

Allen
04-23-2018, 01:17
Waffle House could make it "all you can eat" because you can't stand to eat much of it.

Yeah I agree. While this guy was no hero the end result ended that way. When he grabbed the rifle he had a zero chance of being shot. Why wait around and let the guy reload and start over? Hopefully he will get some type of compensation.

Vern Humphrey
04-23-2018, 02:45
If there had been a "no hero" like James Shaw at Parkland High School, there would have been fewer dead kids.

Dan Shapiro
04-23-2018, 04:26
Hmmmmm.............people, like Shaw, are finally getting the idea. "If you want to take my life, I'm going to go down fighting."

As opposed to the student at Virginia Tech, who walked thru the scene some time afterwards. He pointed under a desk and said "This is where I chose to die."

Think about that. Now consider..............it wasn't the LOCATION. It was the fact that he 'chose to die'. At no time did he ever mention fighting back. His 70+ year old professor had died trying to block the classroom door. NO ONE came to his aid.

Vern Humphrey
04-23-2018, 05:18
Hmmmmm.............people, like Shaw, are finally getting the idea. "If you want to take my life, I'm going to go down fighting."

As opposed to the student at Virginia Tech, who walked thru the scene some time afterwards. He pointed under a desk and said "This is where I chose to die."

Think about that. Now consider..............it wasn't the LOCATION. It was the fact that he 'chose to die'. At no time did he ever mention fighting back. His 70+ year old professor had died trying to block the classroom door. NO ONE came to his aid.

The old professor was a Holocaust survivor. Now not to detract from his courage on that day, if I were a Holocaust survivor you would NEVER find me without a gun.

togor
04-23-2018, 07:07
If there had been a "no hero" like James Shaw at Parkland High School, there would have been fewer dead kids.

+1

Allen would have preferred that he take the last rounds in the mag on the way in? No way of knowing if the shooter had a backup gun.

leftyo
04-23-2018, 07:23
whether he is considered a hero or not, he did what he needed to do and saved his life, and more than likely others too.

Dolt
04-24-2018, 07:01
whether he is considered a hero or not, he did what he needed to do and saved his life, and more than likely others too.

He didn't rationalize, pontificate or ponder. He acted. He saved lives. Shades of a different time and attitude.

JB White
04-24-2018, 08:19
He rationalized. He pondered. The first thing he tried to do was flee the danger. It was when he was cornered and given the opportunity he acted instead of cowering. Kudos to him for that. He also manned up afterward and told it the way it was. He may not think of himself a hero but I have the utmost respect for him as a man.

jon_norstog
04-24-2018, 11:17
He rationalized. He pondered. The first thing he tried to do was flee the danger. It was when he was cornered and given the opportunity he acted instead of cowering. Kudos to him for that. He also manned up afterward and told it the way it was. He may not think of himself a hero but I have the utmost respect for him as a man.

You never know what you are going to do until the situation is at hand. It's always a surprise who the heroes are ... lot of time they surprise themselves.

jn