PDA

View Full Version : Problem with back-up camera on my car

sid
04-25-2018, 06:33
I recently had a LeeKoolLuu rear view camera installed on my car. The problem I am having is with the display monitor which sits on the dashboard. It constantly falls off the dashboard even when the car is not moving. The base stays firmly in place but the monitor itself does not. The only thing holding it to the base appears to be 2 sided carpet tape which obviously is not working.

I hope I have described this problem clearly. I was thinking of using some type of velcro instead. The velcro would have to be strong, but I would also have to be able to cut it with scissors. Anyway, I would appreciate any helpful advice TIA

Ken The Kanuck
04-25-2018, 07:22
Hi Sid

My kid's use a gadget like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwwoQvg4l0 basically it is a magnet that sticks (glues)? on to the back of their cell phones and a metal ball which sticks to the dash board.

They seem to work well.

HTH

KTK

clintonhater
04-25-2018, 08:30
Something wrong with your neck?

S.A. Boggs
04-26-2018, 01:17
My truck has a topper on it that prevents me from seeing clearly the end of my truck, both outside mirrors do not give enough information as to available distance. I am installing a camera but having built a metal stand to hold it, as well as additional radio equipment. I used Velcro successfully in the Jeep that I had.
Sam

Darreld Walton
04-26-2018, 05:41
Sid, here's just the ticket.... Not inexpensive, but Brudder, does it work! https://www.gorillatough.com/product/heavy-duty-mounting-tape/ Like SA Boggs, my X-ray vision gave out, along with the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound, most locomotives now outrun me, and the last bullet I caught left a bruise.... Makes it tough to align the trailer hitch with the ball on my F250 with camper shell, as well as see the teeny little cars that people crowd into the space behind the pickup that I can't see through the tailgate anymore.

Sunray
04-26-2018, 09:43
Turning your head works every time.
"...some type of Velcro..." Velcro wears out.

Allen
04-26-2018, 11:14
Turning your head works every time.

As some of us get older our necks don't just twist around like an owl's. A camera can be a very useful second set of eyes for some of us and all vehicles have blind spots.

JB White
04-26-2018, 02:17
Harbor Frieght. Only $110. Weld it! :)

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/3/63582_i.jpg

The Velcro should serve you a good while so long as you buy the good stuff. One of the visors in my car loosened up while down at the door window and would swing when making a turn. One inch of Velcro brand self-stick (3M adhesive?) fixed it quick. A tab on the visor and a tab on the pillar. Two years so far and it hasn't come loose even after being yanked on and off a good number of times.
If you want a few inches to try I can send you some off my roll. Just PM me your address and I'll get it out to you. Why drive into town and pay for a roll if it won't handle the problem? It's thin and light. I think a "forever stamp" on an envelope should cover the postage, so no problem there.

sid
04-26-2018, 06:22
I want to thank everyone for their help. I bought the Gorilla mounting tape and that should do the trick.

Some years back my neck was injured in an accident and since then my range of turning my head has been much reduced. I never thought of buying a rear view camera until I received a letter from my insurance company USAA recommending that it would be a valuable aid in driving.

dryheat
04-26-2018, 06:51
Back up cameras are a great development. I can turn my head pretty well, that hasn't prevented me from backing into three trees with the truck on camping trips.

Darreld Walton
04-26-2018, 10:02
I want to thank everyone for their help. I bought the Gorilla mounting tape and that should do the trick.

Some years back my neck was injured in an accident and since then my range of turning my head has been much reduced. I never thought of buying a rear view camera until I received a letter from my insurance company USAA recommending that it would be a valuable aid in driving.
Sorry to hear about the accident. Similar situation. Three fuzed vertebrae and a plate and screws in my neck.