PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 70's made Wingmaster Barrel Change

m1ashooter
05-08-2018, 02:51
I just bought a shorter barrel for my Wingmaster that I've had since 1974. The magazine tube cap tightens down against the barrel that has a ball that presses against the cap. I've been told the new barrels dont have this feature. Will just bearing down on the cap tighten it enough?

p246
05-08-2018, 06:38
No the cap will shoot loose. Shooting the gun once the barrel is loose will cause a number of issues. Have a gunsmith add the detent ball and use your old style cap. It’s not that expensive. The new Barrel was designed to use a different cap, with a plastic piece that locks into the new style magazine tube. I like the old system and that’s what new 870P s still come with. The advantage of the new system is its easier to take apart by hand no reason for a cork screw tool or screw driver.

m1ashooter
05-08-2018, 07:35
Thank you.

Emri
05-09-2018, 06:32
If it is a new made replacement barrel it should have a hole in the barrel ring so a spring and detent can be installed. If it is a take off from another production gun it probably won't have a hole. As stated, just tightening it won't work. Brownells sells a "wave lock" washer that is supposed to keep the cap tight on guns without a detent.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/stock-forend-parts/buttstock-hardware/washers/remington-1100-forend-wave-washer-prod23974.aspx