PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Shooting Session

togor
05-10-2018, 06:15
A couple evenings ago some guys were firing away in the public land next door. Target shooting isn't verboten but not common either. Well yesterday I went out to see if I could find the spot where they were shooting. Not hard to find, right off the main trail. Trying to reconstruct what they were doing. Found a line of spent casings with impact scars in the ground about 8 yards away. A little busted plastic but not much. I guestimated over 200 rounds when they were shooting, off and on over about a 30 minute period. I found about 70 .45 auto casings scattered in the tall dead grass (probably 1 or 2 still there for every one that I found), 21 cases of tula 7.62x54, and, unexpected, 101 nice cases of Winchester .308 brass, factory loads, easy ejects with no autoloader marks on the rim or mouth, probably from a bolt or slide gun.

I'm happy for the brass but it seems like an odd way to go through north of $100 in ammo. Maybe they were glad to finally get the really tight groups shooting off hand.

S.A. Boggs
05-10-2018, 07:27
Some people have more money then brains. @ the club I use to belong to there was always a great deal of spent cases of various calibers. I would go in once a week to police all brass including the spent .22 When asked I replied that I was just trying to be a good member and police the area. Yellow brass scraps out well and the free useful cases are a plus.
Sam

Roadkingtrax
05-10-2018, 07:31
Standard practice after every course of fire in a HP match is to police your brass. It's a good habit to have and a hard one to break.

Sounds like they brought out a little of everything.

S.A. Boggs
05-11-2018, 03:58
Standard practice after every course of fire in a HP match is to police your brass. It's a good habit to have and a hard one to break.

Sounds like they brought out a little of everything.

A bunch of Marines are watching a murder moving picture during the war. The woman shoots the guy and just stands there in the film. As she does a voice among the Marines hollers, "Collect your brass and get off of the firing line!":icon_lol:
Sam