PDA

View Full Version : Gun safe purchase

S.A. Boggs
06-22-2018, 12:26
Have been looking at many both American and foreign manufacture. My main consideration is that I want a tumbler lock and not electronic which almost all seem to have. Have decided to buy a Liberty safe due to this aspect, any comments on those who own one of these or other comments.
Sam

Herschel
06-22-2018, 12:51
I have two Liberty brand gun safes. One is tumbler lock and the other is electronic. I have had no trouble at all with either. I also have a Winchester brand made by Granite that has an electronic lock. No problem with it either. I much prefer the electronic lock as it is quicker to open and less likely to miss the combination on than on a tumbler lock.

The Winchester safe is about 12 years old and have had to replace the battery once.

gwp
06-22-2018, 01:29
Be sure to consider how to move your safe to its permanent location. When I was a kid still living at my parents home, I purchased a huge Pro-Steel (now Browning) safe. We had a realy difficult time moving it into my room. I left the safe at my parent's home until years later my mother insisted that I move it to my house. It took almost all of my friends to move the safe. If I have to move the safe again I will hire a safe mover.

Liberty Safes are good quality safes and often have discounts, sales and promotions.

My safes have Sargent & Greenleaf tumbler locks and they work very well. They are also available with a key locked dial for extra security.

Art
06-22-2018, 03:06
Installation is very important. It is a really good idea to secure the safe to the wall studs or floor, put in a closet or other area where it isn't seen immediately. Companies that make safes for folks lake us spend a lot of attention on the door and locking system but the sides on almost all of them are vulnerable, put it in a place where it is difficult to use an axe or pry bar. Not much you can do about a Saws-All but not a lot of crooks have those.

Just some thoughts.

S.A. Boggs
06-22-2018, 04:39
This is going into a storage room that is being built next to my new kitchen, from the look it will look like pantry with brooms and mops hanging on the wood exterior door. You won't be able to tell a safe is there with the "clutter" camouflage by it.
Sam

Johnny P
06-23-2018, 06:42
Unless you outgrow it, a gunsafe is a one time purchase. Check the fire ratings of the safes as this is also a consideration on protecting your guns. The local sporting goods said they had no report of break-ins of the safes they have sold, but had a couple go through house fires.

As noted above, burglars are after what they can easily get and don't come prepared to open a safe.

JB White
06-23-2018, 07:24
Not meaning to be condescending by any means, but why would anyone report break-ins to the local sporting goods store?

As far as electronic locks are concerned, wasn't it on this site not too long ago where someone had to hire a locksmith to drill and repair a safe when the keypad took a dump? As I recall there were several forum members who were already familiar with the process.
Dial locks can indeed be a PIA at times when missing on the combination. Especially when it's a safe which is rarely accessed. IMHO, I'd rather suffer the frustration of having to redial than spend hundreds to have someone else open it a few days to a week later. Add to that a stranger now knows what you have.

clintonhater
06-23-2018, 10:05
This is going into a storage room that is being built next to my new kitchen, from the look it will look like pantry with brooms and mops hanging on the wood exterior door. You won't be able to tell a safe is there with the "clutter" camouflage by it.
Sam

If you make the space in which you intend to hide the safe invisible by putting it behind a false wall, you won't need the safe! That's what I did. The sight of a safe is itself an attraction for thieves, & if they know or suspect it's there, they'll bring the tools to open it.

Johnny P
06-23-2018, 10:59
Not meaning to be condescending by any means, but why would anyone report break-ins to the local sporting goods store?

Not a large town, the biggest safe dealer, and they know most everyone that is a customer. In an effort to be condescending you never thought of that, did you?

JB White
06-23-2018, 01:43
Not a large town, the biggest safe dealer, and they know most everyone that is a customer. In an effort to be condescending you never thought of that, did you?

That makes sense that they might know then. It won't happen in my area.

Also, I thought I was being quite clear?

Not meaning to be condescending by any means,

clintonhater
06-23-2018, 02:08
Also, I thought I was being quite clear?

Almost impossible--unless you dumb-down your language to a level a 3rd Grader can follow.

JB White
06-23-2018, 03:57
Almost impossible--unless you dumb-down your language to a level a 3rd Grader can follow.

He knew what I meant. Read his reply again. He was being venomous. For what reason? I don't know.