PDA

View Full Version : who completely does No. 4 mk. 1s

S.B.
06-24-2018, 05:24
wood and metal? i prefer metal to to be photosphate back black before painting?

p246
06-24-2018, 05:30
Brian Dick on Lee Enfield stuff has a good reputation. Chuckindenver might be a possibility, but I can’t remember if he worked on L.E.s. I think chuck is still a member here, if so a PM could answer that.

S.B.
06-25-2018, 05:20
Does Brian Dick still do this? Last time I contacted him, was iffy. Please post a link to Chuckindenver?
Steve

Sunray
06-27-2018, 11:34
It's phosphating or Suncorite(paint). Not both. And doing it will drop the value by roughly half. Just something to consider.
No mention of restorations on Brian Dick's site, but I'm guessing he'd know who to talk to. http://bdlltd.com/

p246
06-27-2018, 12:09
Does Brian Dick still do this? Last time I contacted him, was iffy. Please post a link to Chuckindenver?
Steve

He posts on milsurps.com on a regular basis, a pm would verify if he’s still working on rifles. He still sells parts, and LE related Manuals as I bought from him within the last year.

If you just want the rifle reparkerized shuffsparkerizing.com is the ticket.

Darreld Walton
06-28-2018, 06:07
Chuck is still in business, still working on firearms and bikes. Single easiest way to reach him initially is via a 'PM' on Facebook. When I queried him about working over a couple of my smelly's, he was happy to do the work, but said he has almost no parts for 'em.

S.B.
06-28-2018, 12:12
Mine is complete, Brian Dick quoted me $1000 for metal and wood?
Steve

p246
06-29-2018, 11:22
Nice to know he is still working, parts can be found, a good gunsmith on these old LE is becoming scarce,

JB White
06-30-2018, 07:31
Have to ask. What exactly is this rifle that "needs" a complete refinishing?

All too often people spend a lot of money only to reduce its value. A bog standard No4 in decent shape will always sell later at no loss to another collector. Refinishing takes it out of the collectors market no matter how good/expensive the job was done. That usually leaves the uneducated market to cough up the cash at resale to recoup about half of what was actually spent all told.

If you like it, and you want a nicer looking shooter without concern for dollars spent then...it's in your possession and your time & dime. However if your are a collector and may plan to roll it over towards something different at a later time, this is something to think over very carefully.

S.B.
06-30-2018, 08:40
JB White, a valid point well taken. After speaking with Mr. Dick and he telling me that there is only 2 & 1/2 pints(I think he quoted me?) of the black final finish paint in existence left in this world. I'll take your advise and just shoot it as is. End of subject.
Steve

Merc
07-01-2018, 04:06
Shoot it and enjoy it knowing that a No. 4 in less than minty condition probably saw some active service during the war.

JB White
07-02-2018, 08:53
If that's what Brian told you then he's not lying. Years ago he announced there is no more to be had coming into the US. It's highly regulated in the UK and the USA has banned its importation due to health and safety concerns.
IIRC, the closest Suncorite number is 259. The closest appearance-wise in the US is 528 which is used for industrial coatings. Most commonly seen on "black pipe" which is used for fire sprinkler systems. That in itself is not an easy paint to apply for the one time DIY'r. The prep and application requires some time and investment as it's not meant to be sprayed.

I looked into it myself a long while back.
One of the things I recall is that it could only be bought in 5 gallon containers or by the drum if I could find someone willing to sell it to me. (nope). That and it had a shelf life of only one year or so. Disposal of the unused paint (along with tools and tanks) are strictly a haz-mat situation.

The Lee Enfields had long service lives for the most part. The markings and condition often tell an interesting story. There might be better condition rifles out there at a premium over the others. If the price is fair it's worth paying the extra at the time. It should always command that price or better. Why bother putting that premium into paint and materials for no gain whatsoever?
Enjoy your rifle. You may run across a few range snobs who might not have nice things to say, but rest assured they aren't Enfield collectors in a real sense. A real Enfield collector might ask why you restocked it, painted it, replaced those certain parts for "better" etc etc.. ;)

Again, respect her for what she is and have fun with her. I hope she's a good shooter. Makes it easier to spend more time with her and all that other mushy stuff.

Merc
07-03-2018, 05:25
Steve,

Tell us more about your No. 4. Photos are always welcome.

I was always curious about how complicated the No. 4 was compared to its contemporaries although a 10 round mag did have its advantages.

Merc