PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Best Friend Yesterday.

Bill D
07-01-2018, 03:09
I guess I knew that it was bound to happen but I wasn’t prepared for yesterday. I had read an online article a couple of days ago about how you can tell if your canine pet is about to die. The article said that they would cling to you and would also look for dark secluded spots to hide.
My wife and I went out Saturday morning for breakfast with some church friends. I had fixed the morning meal for “Sooner”, my 12 year old male Chow. He was on a special diet because of anal gland problems but loved the pumpkin meals we fixed for him.
Upon returning to the house around nine o’clock that morning, I noticed that he was restless. Then he started following me wherever I went. I thought he wanted to go out so I put him out on the back patio but soon noticed that he was eating grass and attempting to vomit. Soon he was just aimlessly wandering around in circles. I let him back into the house and he began looking for dark, secluded places where he would attempt tp lie down. He would only lay for a few seconds then get up and continue his restless searching for another spot.
We called his vet and got the first available appointment for 11:00 AM which, by this time was only about 45 minutes away. At the appointed time, we had him in the vets office. She listened to our description of his symptoms and asked for permission to get an abdominal X-ray. The X-ray confirmed her suspicions; he had a twisted stomach (there is a medical term for this which I forget) and the only solution was immediate surgery. She sent us to an emergency veterinarian hospital and faxed a copy of the X-ray and her prognosis to them. Although only a five minute drive away, by the time we arrived at the emergency hospital, he was lethargic and unable to walk. The initial exam by the doctor revealed that his heart rate was very high and he was in danger of going into shock. Their primary job was to get him stabilized but by this time his stomach had suffered considerable damage and it was the opinion of the doctor that surgery would be very risky with rapidly decreasing odds for successful recovery.
Because of his age, his quality of life would not be very good even if he survived the surgery. With heavy hearts we made a decision to have him euthanized.
He was a beloved member of our family for over twelve years. He was the gentlest Chow I have ever been around and one of the most patient for putting up with my wife’s ill-tempered cat.
Give your dog a hug and an extra treat. They will be gone much too soon.

Deano41
07-01-2018, 03:41
Sorry for your loss Bill. You did the best you could. Losing a pet is never easy.
I've reached the age where having another pet would not be fair to the pet. They will out live me, and that would not be fair to them.

IditarodJoe
07-01-2018, 04:01
Sorry for your loss, Bill. We don't get to keep them forever - just the great memories.

PWC
07-01-2018, 04:16
I've always prayed for the time when they would juzt go to sleep and not answer the call, but it never happens. They all got too sick or hurt and the hardest decision must be made. I' sorry for your loss.

dryheat
07-01-2018, 04:40
What a pretty dog.

S.A. Boggs
07-01-2018, 04:50
I understand as with my love of my Compadre Wolf
Sam

RED
07-01-2018, 06:18
I lost two loved best friends within a month. The first to go was a fully registered Skye terrier. They are 2X as long as they are tall like a dachshund and some how he hurt his back and lost control of his left leg, and then the right. The vet said it would take a $4,000 surgery and no guarantees and when he could no longer control his bowels we had to get him put down. Then our other dog (a 1/2 Chow, 1/2 Corgi), was only about 9 years old stopped eating and we thought he was just upset over losing his best friend. Then he started hiding from us. one morning I let him out and he disappeared. I looked for hours and finally found him in the pond with just his head and tail above the water. I had to wade out and pick him up but I had seen this behavior before... A dying dog will often look for a spot to die. I knew it was the end for him but the vet did xrays anyway and it was cancer of the esophagus. It was the same thing that killed my wife two months later.

I found a new dog at the rescue pound and he is an ornery little fart that is 1/2 min-pin and 1/2 toy Manchester. He had been there 6 months and was scheduled to be put down the next week. He had been named 'Red' by the staff at the pound... It was love at first sight and proof positive that there is another best friend out there for everybody. Find yours and you will be glad you did.

Good luck!

Bill D
07-01-2018, 08:02
Thanks, everyone, for the expressions of sympathy. I do appreciate them.

No, I won’t get another dog. It wouldn’t be fair to ask any dog to share a house with my wife’s cat. Besides, our lifestyle is changing with more and more travel on the horizon. It’s just too big of a hassle to find a house/dog sitter every time we want to take a trip. Besides, like Deano41 pointed out, I might not outlive the next one.

SloopJohnB
07-01-2018, 08:23
Sorry for your loss, Bill. All we can do is hang on to the treasured memories of all our loved ones.

JB White
07-02-2018, 09:04
This reminds me of a while back when I had no choice but to put down the best dog I ever had. Anyone who has been forced to do that fully understands what you're going through right now. Summer is here and the neighbors are out on the weekends. Anytime we do a shot, the first one is spilled onto the ground in memory of that pooch. They miss him too. Couldn't have been any better a best friend and the local K9 guys loved that GSD as well.

The one shock I had was with my Rott. She was up there in years. 16 to be exact. She walked into the living room and sat down as always. Then her legs jutted out and she collapsed in a stroke. I waited nearly an hour for her to go on her own while the other dogs laid around the room just waiting as well. At 16 there was no call to the vet. Just made her as comfortable as possible until the death rattle sounded.

Bill, it totally sucks and there is no getting around it. My deepest sympathies.

TomSudz
07-02-2018, 09:57
Bill, so very sorry for your loss. It's a pain many of us know all too well. You do realize, of course, that if you don't get another dog, you'll have to get another cat. Cats are social animals and need company. The cat will probably spend considerable time looking for Sooner.

bdm
07-02-2018, 12:43
So sorry for your loss My deepest sympathies

Clark Howard
07-02-2018, 01:18
If I ever get to Heaven, I will know it because the two dogs that are gone will be there to meet me. Regards, Clark

clintonhater
07-02-2018, 05:20
I've always prayed for the time when they would juzt go to sleep and not answer the call, but it never happens. They all got too sick or hurt and the hardest decision must be made. I' sorry for your loss.

It never happens. I accept the biological necessity of death--to create space for new life; but I don't understand the cosmic necessity for a miserable, prolonged, painful, utterly wretched death. Watching it happen again & again to my beloved companions--please don't say "pet"--destroyed my religious faith many years ago & turned me into a reluctant atheist. I wish it were otherwise, & sincerely envy those possessing deep faith, as it's the greatest possible blessing in this misery-filled world, but it's quite impossible for me, so long as my brain can remember the suffering I've had to watch.

My last beloved companion, in fact the most beloved of them all, I lost just last week, so please, no cant about "getting over it."

S.A. Boggs
07-02-2018, 10:24
It never happens. I accept the biological necessity of death--to create space for new life; but I don't understand the cosmic necessity for a miserable, prolonged, painful, utterly wretched death. Watching it happen again & again to my beloved companions--please don't say "pet"--destroyed my religious faith many years ago & turned me into a reluctant atheist. I wish it were otherwise, & sincerely envy those possessing deep faith, as it's the greatest possible blessing in this misery-filled world, but it's quite impossible for me, so long as my brain can remember the suffering I've had to watch.

My last beloved companion, in fact the most beloved of them all, I lost just last week, so please, no cant about "getting over it."

Many things as humans we can't understand and the beauty of it is that we don't need to, that's above our pay grade. Some questions need not be asked because there is no answer in our limited time frame. I am a Believer because I don't ask I just believe it is that simple for me. As a father it is my job to help my children without them having the need to ask, just the belief that Dad will always be there to take care of them without the need to ask. Sometimes Dad had to let them experience pain for them to learn what not to do, I hurt twice for them in letting something happen. As a Christian I experience pain and it brings me closer to Christ and what He experienced for me. By accepting the Son, I accept the gift that He did for me by dying on the Cross so I won't have to. Whatever pain I experience is nothing compared to what He did for me and it is a reminder of Him and His love for me...a mortal sinner.
Sam

Ken The Kanuck
07-03-2018, 06:17
Sorry to hear of your loss, I really am. I don't know if you remember me posting a picture of my chow but it could of been a twin to yours.

KTK

M1Tommy
07-03-2018, 06:40
Sorry for your loss, really.

Our own Charlie-the-Incredible-Velcro-Lab died 3 years ago, and I still miss her sometimes.

Tommy

m1ashooter
07-03-2018, 09:47
I had to put my 13 year old Lab down last Dec. It really sucked. I feel your loss.

barretcreek
07-04-2018, 01:54
My friend passed away two years ago. You have my sympathy.

jjrothWA
07-08-2018, 07:03
You have to face what a lot of us and to step-up and make a LOUSY decision. I had to let the "Tizzy" go.

Presently,in process to acquire a new 5 month pup, hopefully by the 28th.

The following was copied from the "Pet Show" by Warren Ekstein:[its' a tear jerker]

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass. When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.
There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth.
So, each day they run and play until the day comes when, one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!
You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace,
Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated...

dryheat
07-09-2018, 01:32
My short hair got pretty sick just two days ago. He has insulanoma. It's a tumor on the pancreous(excuse the spelling). He's fine most of the time. When he has a bout it makes me a little sick. Tonight he's back on top. At my age, I've had my share of dogs put down. It's part of it.

Brad in Idaho
07-11-2018, 11:43
Condolences for the loss of your friend and family member. We lost our 13 year old Rottweiler 3 months ago and it still hurts a lot. So many wonderful memories are generated by our canine friends. Find solace in those....

Bill D
07-11-2018, 06:54
Condolences for the loss of your friend and family member. We lost our 13 year old Rottweiler 3 months ago and it still hurts a lot. So many wonderful memories are generated by our canine friends. Find solace in those....

My condolences to you also. I know how you must feel.

AZshooter
07-16-2018, 09:17
It's difficult to lose one who has been with you for many good years. I got Annisette (Annie) as a year old turn-in to the animal shelter. She was rescued by another organization, since she was on the kill list for being "too shy". As a spotted Ocicat (Siamese + Abysinian blend) their temperament seems to be subdued relative to other cats. Her place at nite for the next 15 years was on a mat next to my pillow. She helped raise several kitten newcomers to my home, and although quiet, when she wanted space at the food bowl, everyone backed away to give her room. She loved to herd toothbrushes, and rounded up every one she could find that were used for other household and hobby cleaning chores. The stash of 6 would migrate from closet to closet, to behind the couch and other secluded areas. While looking for something else, I found #6 hidden behind some luggage in a closet - she's been gone nearly 5 years now.

Her end came quickly and decisively, one day she was still energetic and able to jump up to the opening above the bathroom door, to stretch out & survey her realm, and the next, she was curled up in the closet. She quit eating and moving around, but would still purr when I came to sit with her and scratch her ears. Late in the evening, there was only a weak purr, and she went limp under my hand, and was forever gone.

Circumstances were just right - I gave her 14 more years free from the kill list, and she did a great job raising several more kittens.