PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Shooting by Maj. Culver?

Mike
07-05-2018, 07:01
Hi, does anyone remember an article about long range shooting the M1 Garand by Maj. Culver? I thought it was in "Jouster Tales" and talked about using iron sights at I believe 500 yards, regards, Mike

Emri
07-06-2018, 06:26
Hi, does anyone remember an article about long range shooting the M1 Garand by Maj. Culver? I thought it was in "Jouster Tales" and talked about using iron sights at I believe 500 yards, regards, Mike

It's there. Look for "M1 Rifle and Silver Horseshoes". Shooting at 1000yds at Vaile for the "Farr Trophy".

Mike
07-06-2018, 02:40
It's there. Look for "M1 Rifle and Silver Horseshoes". Shooting at 1000yds at Vaile for the "Farr Trophy".

Hi Emri, Thanks but that's not the article. I remember that it was stated that when the front sight covers the target shoot where you think the bulls eye is. I was trying to explain this to a friend and thought I would show him this post. I qualified at my club at 500 meters using this "tip". Qualification is 3 hits on a 24" square plate at 500 meters. Most people use a scope and out of 200 qualifiers I'm the only one who used a M1 Garand, great rifle lucky shooter. The idea of qualifying is to make sure all shots are aimed and trajectory is understood,. thanks, again, regards, Mike

jjrothWA
07-08-2018, 06:57
What yu are describing is the "frame hold", in which the M1 front post is centered around the post and the shot is touched off.

I have used this for 600 and 1000 yds section of a NMC across the course.
, due to my "corrugated corneas.