PDA

View Full Version : Link to my rifle on Gunbroker

Fred
07-17-2018, 02:32
I’m auctioning off my 1903 on Gunbroker if anyone wants to watch it.
Here’s the link...
It has a Very low Reserve Price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779757397

Jay Johnson
07-17-2018, 04:19
I entered a bid, Fred, even though I believe the 1920 National Match Springfield M1903 I bought from you two years back is the best one from your collection, this one’s a strong second best, IMHO.

Wish me luck, ‘ol Friend

p246
07-17-2018, 07:44
That rifle is super nice, thanks for the link.

Fred
07-18-2018, 01:29
I entered a bid, Fred, even though I believe the 1920 National Match Springfield M1903 I bought from you two years back is the best one from your collection, this one’s a strong second best, IMHO.

Wish me luck, ‘ol Friend

Wow, Jay, I applaud your superior taste in fine 1903 Springfield’s! Outstanding! Thanks for the bid!
Yep, I’ve got more in that package than my Reserve Price. However, I’ve had fun owning it. There couldn’t be a better WWI manufactured 1903 Springfield available. The rifle came right out of a closet or somewhere where it’d remained untouched and probably unnoticed. I’ve seen Trapdoor Springfield’s that have never been taken apart before, but never a 1903 Springfield.
I hope you DO get it Jay! The two rifles have been old friends in the Rifle Cabinet. Each is top of the line in its type!
Have you gotten any envious compliments over your 1920 National Match 03? I believe that it’s the nicest conditioned 1920 National Match 1903 on the planet known so far.
There are Very close 2nd’s though. Not many of that type of NM 03 are in collections. Maybe a handful.

- - - Updated - - -

That rifle is super nice, thanks for the link.

Thank YOU for liking it!

Fred
07-21-2018, 10:06
When I removed the frozen front trigger guard screw, I used an 1879 combination screwdriver. It fit the screw slot perfectly with zero slop. I held the driver in the jaws of a small pair of vise grips for optimum leverage. All I had to do was to apply the drops of lighter fluid to run down into the threads, then while bearing down on the top of the driver, I applied torque to the vise grips and the screw came loose with a “POP”. At first I thought that the screw shaft must’ve snapped, but nope, that screw came out clean and dry. It’d just been stuck tight for 96 years. I cleaned the threads with a dry toothbrush and oiled them before I turned the screw back in upon assembling the rifle for what I believe was just the 2nd time in its life.
Those two thin shavings of wood That fell out of the stock were left over from the stock inletting. I believe that this rifle’s stock was oiled and Then inletted. Makes sense to me. That way there isn’t any problem with gunk getting in the way of a perfect seating.
Anyway, I think that a huge part of this rifle’s collector value is the fact that apparently the rifle hadn’t ever been disassembled until it came into my hands.

Fred
07-25-2018, 03:36
Sorry you didn’t get it Jay!

Jay Johnson
07-26-2018, 02:41
Yeah, I screwed the pooch, got involved in a Honey Do and forgot about the close of the auction...I'm kicking myself, Fred :icon_e_sad:

Fred
07-29-2018, 07:13
You made the other guy happy Jay! He said he was prepared for a bidding war, so I guess it worked out that you didn’t wind up paying a lot for it.
Now you’ve money for something else neat. Keep your eyes open!

togor
07-30-2018, 08:55
I watched that auction, and thought about entering the fray, but serious interest was already there. Happy for you, Fred, to get that good response! Nice rifle!

Fred
07-31-2018, 07:57
Thanks togor. More money would’ve been great, but the new owner is going to enjoy it for longer than I could’ve, me being about 64 years of age now. Besides, I hadn’t a convenient 100 yard range to shoot it on.

lyman
08-08-2018, 09:07
nice rifle,

as an FYI, if you use <br> at the end of sentences, it drops the next sentence down , vs a big long paragraph,

it makes the listing a lot easier to read,

Fred
08-10-2018, 10:02
Thank you!