PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

S.A. Boggs
07-22-2018, 03:17
Our 3 Amish builders started this past Monday and man did they work! They backed in a large work trailer at the base of our back hill where I have my reloading shack and park our trucks. Inside is a large gas compressor and more tools then I have seen in some time. Showed them what I wanted and they started laying out the addition, some tools they are. Took about an hour to lay out the dimensions and square the building site, hard to do on a hillside. Due to the uneven land I decided on post and beam for the foundation, conventional after that. 4"x6" treated with 2x8x20 for the rest. This section will be 20 feet wide and 80 feet long, the next addition along side is the greenhouse of 16 feet wide and 40 feet long with a deck of the same dimension. The new living room is 20x20, the other rooms will compose two bed rooms with a bath. For my wife will be a 8'x20' walk in closet for her "stuff." Since I now have a separate reloading shack I am converting my old 16x16 reloading room into a quilting room for her. Her current quilting room, 12x20, I am converting into the new kitchen. Stopped at Lowes on the way home from Church and loaded the 150 in plants for the greenhouse. Thinking of adding a water feature into the greenhouse, maybe a small waterfall with a mini-pond and gold fish. To heat the new section is a wood fired furnace that I am picking up this week. In the living room will be a small fireplace off in one corner. The living room and green house will be open to each other, stepping down two steps to get to the greenhouse. A small wood railing will separate the two uneven floors, turning to the right is a set of French doors that will open to the deck. To get off the deck is a ramp instead of stairs to the base of the hill and our vehicles. All around are tall pine trees that will shade some of it and I have to trim back some of the branches this week. I will do pictures as construction goes along as we are keep a pictorial record of the construction. Under the high end of the house will be a root cellar for some of our food. This has taken us 11 moves and a lot of saving over the last 36 years, no mortgage and none wanted. Our bank advised us to keep our money there and take out a mortgage, at our age none of that.
Sam

Tuna
07-22-2018, 04:28
If this is what your and the wife want then go for it and then enjoy it together. You worked for it so it's what ever you want with it. Sounds great to me and I wish you the best with it all.

Major Tom
07-24-2018, 12:19
Congrats Sam! We have a large Amish population just north of us. Years ago they built an addition to our neighbors house. It was a joy watching them work.