PDA

View Full Version : Manager Killed at Trader Joe

tmark
07-24-2018, 07:35
The manager who was killed at the Trader Joe was killed by the police bullet. The chief of police said the officer who feared his life was justified in firing at the perp while firing at the officer as the perp entered the Trader Joe.

In my former neck of the woods, Harford Count, MD, the deputies were told not to go on high speed chases if public safety was comprimised.

IMPO, those two police officers fired many shots at the perp even though many civilians were in Trader Joe putting the public safety at risk.

That 27 year old girl didn't have to die had the police exercised discretion.

What is the opinion of current and former law enforcement members on this issue?

S.A. Boggs
07-25-2018, 12:53
Before our firearms training started we had to go thru a session with the prosecuting attorney. His simple adage was that I WAS RESONSIBLE for every round fired...period! If I was wrong then I WOULD SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES. Today when I CCW I carry that in the back of my mind, I am the weapon the bullet is a part of my tool kit that I am responsible for. Being sorry is not enough, there are many training issues here to examine as well as the conduct of the officers and their superiors, same as a high speed chase.
Sam

JimF
07-25-2018, 06:44
Looked to me to be rather reckless ‘cause at least one LEO appeared to be about 75 YARDS from the store front . . . firing into the front of the store! !
At that distance, shot dispersement . . . with a handgun, under duress . . is widespread.
Back when I was a LEO, that type of response . . . at that distance . . . would NOT be tolerated!

JB White
07-25-2018, 06:48
What a can of worms! I today's lawsuit-happy society it automatically looks as though police bullet = police liability. Let's stray from that aspect for just a second?
I don't know the circumstances in detail, but the perp committed a felony by his own choice which resulted in a loss of life. In most (if not all States) that makes him directly at fault.

Unless they are able to prove recklessness on the part of the patrolman, legally I think the officer, department, and municipality are off the hook. It's not going to make life easier on the cop though.

Sunray
07-25-2018, 09:16
"...killed by the police bullet..." Nobody has ever been killed by a bullet. Police or otherwise. Bullets are inanimate objects just like firearms.
"...about 75 YARDS..." If it was, it's pure and simple negligence.

Clark Howard
07-25-2018, 02:35
Another employee stated that she ran toward the front of the store to see what the shooting was about.

bruce
07-25-2018, 06:18
Any citizen who opened up and started shooting at a store from 75 inches or 75 yards and then ended up killing a woman unintentionally would most certainly be held fully and completely liable in every extreme of the law without any exception period. It beggars the imagination to even try to imagine why a policeman and the municipality for which he works should not also be held strictly liable in every extreme of the law without any exception period for the officer unintentionally killing this manager. Right is right. The officer and the municipality should be held strictly liable. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

clintonhater
07-25-2018, 07:08
It beggars the imagination to even try to imagine why a policeman and the municipality for which he works should not also be held strictly liable in every extreme of the law without any exception period for the officer unintentionally killing this manager. Right is right. The officer and the municipality should be held strictly liable.

I agree; but if you're surprised by this tragic accident, you haven't seen any good demonstrations of (average) police marksmanship, as I have many times at the range I manage. They are TAUGHT to empty their mags as fast as they can pull the triggers!

barretcreek
07-26-2018, 07:11
I agree; but if you're surprised by this tragic accident, you haven't seen any good demonstrations of (average) police marksmanship, as I have many times at the range I manage. They are TAUGHT to empty their mags as fast as they can pull the triggers!

A friend is NYPD ret. I am paraphrasing him; his opinion is the whole mentality of policing changed with the switch from the M10/OP to staggered magazine semi-autos. With a revolver, it was imperative to be calm and maintain a measured response. S/A use has led to a 'overwhelming force' approach to problem solving. When all you have is a hammer...
My interpretation of his view.

Faulkner
07-26-2018, 07:04
Lot of keyboard commandos here who never believe the liberal media but are willing to back the truck over the cops when the investigation isn't even completed yet. Seems some of you guys can't make stuff up fast enough.

Herschel
07-26-2018, 07:46
I agree with Faulkner.

p246
07-26-2018, 07:53
Here is the reality, the Officer will wish for the rest of his/ her life to have that bullet back, it will never happen. The victims family will never get her back. The officer might or will not be prosecuted depending on the circumstances. The city will loose the civil litigation and write a very large check. 95% of P.O.s will never fire their weapon in anger. We use to fight with the pen the majority of the time, then with “WORD” now with computer programs made by Intergraph and Niche. Until we are replaced with androids human performance will dictate that mistakes will be made despite the best intentions. Ultimately the homicide suspect set the wheels in motion. Almost every department has openings and there is a national shortage of P.O.s.

jon_norstog
07-29-2018, 06:57
A friend is NYPD ret. I am paraphrasing him; his opinion is the whole mentality of policing changed with the switch from the M10/OP to staggered magazine semi-autos. With a revolver, it was imperative to be calm and maintain a measured response. S/A use has led to a 'overwhelming force' approach to problem solving. When all you have is a hammer...
My interpretation of his view.

BC, I tend to agree on this. With the semiauto, you are trained to empty that clip right now. The revolver gives you time to think and, better yet, take careful aim.

jn

Faulkner
08-11-2018, 08:48
BC, I tend to agree on this. With the semiauto, you are trained to empty that clip right now. The revolver gives you time to think and, better yet, take careful aim.

jn

That's funny right there . . . did you just make that up on your own or read it on the internet? I've been a LEO for over 20 years and have never seen officers "trained to empty the clip right now."

In fact, semi-auto handguns have been around in the US Military for over a hundred years now and they have not been trained that way either. I hope you realize that what you see on cop shows on TV is made up by leftist in Hollywood and is not the real world.