PDA

View Full Version : Who presently uses the nickel plating as was done on the 70's era M39-2?

jjrothWA
08-09-2018, 07:15
Have a M39-2 nickled from S&W, that needs to be redone.

S&W abandoned that process, so who would be a close replacement?

I ask here, due to the M39 series pistol are now allowed in CMP matches.

Thanks.

JHR

Emri
08-11-2018, 07:02
EPA has run most platers out of business. Google "firearm nickel plating" and find one that suits you. I have no recommendations as I haven't had a gun plated in years. Be prepared to take out a bank loan to pay for the service. Good Luck !!

Emri

P.S.- If you have it done and like the results and service, please let us know. And put up some pics of the job.

gwp
08-11-2018, 09:34
Plating firearms is expensive. Tech Plate Inc. can do the finish you want but they charge $600 for a pistol.

http://www.techplate.com/firearms_pl.htm

Years ago I sent an early electroless nickel Kahr in for a Robar refinish. The Robar finish cost almost as much as I payed for the pistol.

It will be more cost effective to find a pistol that has a good finish or just use your pistol as is.

If you decide to have the M-39 refinished use someone who is familiar with firearms and has a FFL to avoid problems with how the parts fit after the parts are plated.

Sunray
08-17-2018, 09:46
"...Plating firearms is expensive..." Yep. And $600 is probably cheap. Plating isn't done by dipping. I'd go with industrial hard chrome before nickel too. Nickel plating is 19th Century technology. Tends to come off fairly easily.